Cron Jobs, Mac

P

philipMac

Hi, I want to run a perl cron job on a mac, how does one go about such a task...

Cheers.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
In OS9?

Don't you mean OSX?

On OSX I'd assume it's doen in the standard unix way but I haven't personally tried it.

(The book on OSX I have does say that OSX has some standard clean up jobs already built in and that I should leave the machine on overnight if I want them to execute but I don't have any further details of what they are.)

Amen-Moses

OP
P

philipMac

No, I mean OS 9. Running a cron job in OSX is handy enough, I just dont know how to do it in OS9. Ok, It might not be called a "cron" job, but I want somthing to run my little perl script everyday at midnight on a OS9. Nine.

Cheers.
Philip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Welcome aboard phillipMac...

OP
P

philipMac

Hi, thanks, listen, I have no idea really about how to use Macs, I can use linux/unix/win, but this is all new to me. I have to get a perl script runing on a mac os 9 machine. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dunno if this will help:

(outdated link removed)

Oh, and welcome. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
P

philipMac

I have actually found a thing that will do a cron job on a os 9, now I have to find out how to get it to run a perl script. There is no command line interface (?) on OS 9, and I have no idea how to talk to machines without one...

OP
P

philipMac

Sorry, FYI, it's called CronoTask, (outdated link removed) is the URL.

Should have included this in the previous post...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't investigated AppleScript yet but I would have thought that you could launch the perl script from within an AppleScript (which I also assume is launcheable from the "cron" app).

I've only had my iMac for a month and apart from using Classic (which is OS 9.2.2 based) to launch the odd OS 9 program I know virtually nothing about it, sorry I can't be of more help.

Amen-Moses

OP
P

philipMac

Hi, Ok, I have found this MacPerl thing, which seems to be pretty much like Perl, except that you can run it on macintoshes pre OSX.

Then I can write up the perl script, and point to it from this CronoTask software, or whatever its called.

I think you are right though. I think you can kind of get some class of a command line interface with AppleScript. Although, its abviously going to be poor in comparison to the BSD UNIX interface that OSX offers now. Very clever move by Apple that one.

Take it easy.

Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Call your script with applescipt. MacPerl should open automatically and run the script for you, but I don't know how well you will be able to use perl in integration with OS9... MacPerl on 9 is used for web development mainly (I haven't heard of anybody running cron jobs with it).

Let us know how you get on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.