• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Blackle (google but in disguise).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)
Random but looks pretty cool all the same......

For those interested in cutting down their energy consumption.

When your screen is white, be it an empty word page, or the Google page,
your computer consumes 74 watts, and when its black it consumes only 59 watts.

Mark Ontkush wrote an article about the energy saving that would be achieved if

Google had a black screen, taking in account the huge number of page views,

according to his calculations, 750 mega watts/hour per year would be saved.

In a response to this article Google created a black version of its search
engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version,
but with a lower energy consumption, check it out:

http://www.blackle.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Wow that is amazing and brilliant.

vxd

Reaction score
Yeah my girlfriend showed me this to me today, I plan to use Blackle from now on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
So Apple IS becoming more Green! ;D

Just check out their Black home page, and the fact that they let users be more green by simply pressing Cntrl+Alt+Apple+8 :D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Wow! I love black.

Plus, this is great for people who want their home page in their browser to match their Blackbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Cool. I'll try it out for a while, goes great with my black background I have going w/ a mostly black background and Crystal Clear theme from Shapeshifter.

What's that command key combination that inverts all the colors on your screen??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Someone just mentioned:

"It’s not Google at all, it’s a bunch called Heap Media in Australia who are using Google custom search (their off the shelf affiliate search product) to make a page that looks like Google but is black. They hook into the tree hugger mindset and bang you have a website that serves millions of uniques per month – brilliant!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM
Wow, Google is always coming up with new ideas. I dont see myself using it though i'll just forget. Plus its not as nice to look at:-/

Just check out their Black home page, and the fact that they let users be more green by simply pressing Cntrl+Alt+Apple+8 :D:D:D

I never new this - What other cool stuff can you do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i knew you could o dht eaple + 8 thingy didnt know that was the shortcut 4 it tho

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
This is great if you use a tube, but it has virtually effect for those of us with LCDs. (Which is most of us these days...including all G4/G5 iMacs, all 'Book owners)

LCD backlights (the part that consumes almost all of the energy used in an LCD) run at the same power regardless of the color displayed. The color is just a filter for the light emitted by backlight; white images transmit the light, while black images absorb it.

When your screen is white, be it an empty word page, or the Google page, your computer consumes 74 watts, and when its black it consumes only 59 watts.
Not my computer...my PowerBook consumes less than 65w anyway. (That's the rated power of the adapter.) Those numbers sound about right for a tube monitor, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Oh very cool. It needs to include all the google stuff though, like images, videos, iGoogle and the rest.

Great start though, I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Someone just mentioned:

"It’s not Google at all, it’s a bunch called Heap Media in Australia who are using Google custom search (their off the shelf affiliate search product) to make a page that looks like Google but is black. They hook into the tree hugger mindset and bang you have a website that serves millions of uniques per month – brilliant!"

Well at least we know your views on this.

Although, it does look slightly suspicious, and I wonder if Google will respond.

Reaction score

I played that trick on my brother and he thought I broke his MBP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.