Complaints?

Reaction score
ok so i know i will get an extremely biased opion about this topic but since i am looking for a mac to do video editing i need to know. So the question is is there anything that is annoying about a mac or does anyone have any complaints about it. i just want to know so i know what i am getting my self into. thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The real question is which video editting software are going to be using.

M$ moviemaker
Avid Xpress
Avid Xpress DV
Avid Xpress Pro
Avid Xpress Studio
iMovie
Final Cut Express
Final Cut HD

Once you have decided that, then you can choose the hardware you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I have absolutely no complaints. It has proved to be run with the best OS I have ever used

OP
K
Reaction score
I am looking at a powerbook g4 1.5 ghz 17in with a 128 mb video card 80GB hard drive @ 5200 rpm 512 ram (expect to buy a 1 gb chip a couple months after getting it from www.crucial.com)

I would like to get final cut hd but for $999 or even at $499 (educational discount) its still pretty expensive so i might be forced to go to express which if anyone knows how that compared to Hd i would love to find out.

I biggest concern is what any of you dislike about macs if anything (like i said before knowing this is a biased forum)

OP
K
Reaction score
rman said:
M$ moviemaker
Avid Xpress
Avid Xpress DV
Avid Xpress Pro
Avid Xpress Studio

comments about the rest of these programs (not interested in iMovie at all) would be much appriciated also. and can you get ms moviemaker on a mac?

N

Nightblade

You want professional video editing? Then come to the Mac world. Only Macs can run Final Cut Xpress and Final Cut Pro 4.5 (High Definition). And that's of course because they're both made by Apple. From what I know, Final Cut Pro 4 was the best video editor out there, and now that FCP HD is out, well...It seems that Apple is unstoppable in terms of video editing. The only disadvantage to Final Cut Pro is that it has to be bought with several other applications, and as a result it's a bit pricey ($999 US). The other applications are Soundtrack, LiveType, Cinema Tools, and Compressor. I'm not entirely positive what each one of those does, but I'm sure other people here know and could tell you. Here are the requirements for these programs: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs.html

Also, Apple just came out with a new program that's somehow related to video editing, called Motion. It's graphics design, I believe. Compared to related applications sold by Apple, it's actually not too expensive, although the system requirements are absolutely unbelievable.
http://www.apple.com/motion/specs.html

As for disadvantages? Well....First let me ask you this Which computer do you have now, and what operating system is it running? What's the processor? What's the hard drive? What's the RAM? etc.

As for MovieMaker? Nope, it's an XP-only application. MovieMaker is like iMovie for Windows, only from what I've heard it's much better (or at least the newest version, MovieMaker 2, is). But that's for HOME video editing. If you want minor **** like that, then maybe XP would be your best choice. But if you want to enter the professional world of video editing, and do films just like the stars, use Final Cut Pro. It smokes the competition (from what I've heard, hehe).

OP
K
Reaction score
Nightblade said:
You want video editing? Then come to the Mac world. Only Macs can run Final Cut Xpress and Final Cut Pro 4.5 (High Definition). And that's of course because they're both made by Apple. From what I know, Final Cut Pro 4 was the best video editor out there, and now that FCP HD is out, well...It seems that Apple is unstoppable in terms of video editing. The only disadvantage to Final Cut Pro is that it has to be bought with several other applications, and as a result it's a bit pricey ($999 US). The other applications are Soundtrack, LiveType, Cinema Tools, and Compressor. I'm not entirely positive what each one of those does, but I'm sure other people here know and could tell you.

As for disadvantages? Well....First let me ask you this Which computer do you have now, and what operating system is it running? What's the processor? What's the hard drive? What's the RAM? etc.

well first of all i have used final cut pro 4 and hd at school and is really the main reason for contemplateing a switch. i have gotten so involved with video that i have taken 2 year long classes at my high school and we work exclusively on macs (we just got 2 1.8ghz g5s and 1 2ghz g5 which kind of sucks because we bought them about 2 weeks before the announcement of the new liquid cooled g5s). I really haven't had the time to check out the os really just alot of editing for daily announcements (we broadcast to about 3,000 students everyday and i am pretty much in charge of editing). the os seems to be retively easy to use but as a pcer i am still skeptical about the switch.

As for what i am running right now: gateway 450xl, its a 1.3 ghz pentium 4. its only got a 20gb hard drive which is pretty crammed right now. it also has 512 mb of ram and a 64 mb ati video card. The os i am running is Xp pro which has been running pretty well until recently (i think my bro got a virus on it....you know its not good when your virus checker says the virus definitions are corrupt :rolleyes: )

yeah i have used ms movie maker (for a whole 10 seconds then realised it was crap) but it is better then iMovie so thats why i don't care about iMovie at all.

Oh and also...its not a disadvantage that it comes with sound track and live type because they are great programs that are very easy to use :D

N

Nightblade

Pentium 4, eh? Pretty sweet. But then again, only 1.3 Ghz and only a 20 GB hard drive...I mean, I'm using a six-year old G3 iMac, and even its hard drive is bigger (by 10 MB)! Still, it's quite possible that you could notice a reduction in speed when you buy your Mac (unless it's a G5, which although probably can't top a top-of-the-line P4 or Athlon, could still probably top yours :p). And the OS? Pretty stable, just like XP. I mean, it'll still crash if under too much pressure from a lot of programs (especially ones that require a lot of the CPU, like Photoshop CS), and perhaps every three months or so it'll crash, but overall it's quite stable. All of the newest operating systems seem to be. But don't think of doing real business work on the Mac. There are applications available, but why should you have to buy them when they're already available on Windows for free? Like Access, Visual Basic, Publisher, etc. As I said, there are ones that do them on the Mac, but ya gotta buy 'em and from what I've heard most of them are inferior to the stuff that Microsoft makes.

OP
K
Reaction score
oh and by the way its a laptop and its goin on 2 years old now. thats why its a lil short in some parts.

thanks for all the help everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
How in the world is Access, Visual Basic, Publisher all free? those are some expensive programs! and most definitely not free... I do not do video editing, but when the big wigs do use Macs to make their movies and they go to the top of the charts.. I would say we need to sit down and take notice. Like I said I do not make videos so with all that crashing you are talking about.. maybe it's a video editing thing on macs, but I am a web developer and use lots of different programs and I have crashed once in 2 1/2 years and that was due to me sending a command to terminal that is supposed to reboot the system.. so I guess that wasn't really a crash :) I have never had a more stable system in my entire life, then again maybe my Tibook is the last of it's breed.. I sure hope not though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That did seem like a lot of software... Well 'nuff said. Murlyn, from my bro's experience and mine -- your stability is quite the norm :p My Mac is all uptime since Christmas -- we are not sure how many months on my bro's :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.