topic missing - unsearchable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
i started an iphone video ripping topic a week or two ago. I posted on it a little bit ago and now its gone. I cant find it when i search the entire forum or search for posts by my username.
Please help me find it or tell me why it was deleted.
thanks,
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
just a guess... but if it mentioned ripping encrypted/commercial DVD's it was most likely deleted.... :(

See here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70159&highlight=dvd+illegal

schweb said:
The forum rules at Mac-Forums (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
You may not discuss breaking DVD encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
This includes DVDs you own. Even if you own the DVD, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

There are many other places online where you can go if you feel you absolutely need to discuss illegal things. We'd ask that you go there to do so.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's bull. So I can talk about downloading a movie from limewire which is most likely an illegal copy but if I am using something I paid actual money for I can't post anything?
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
apparently, I fully understand your frustration... remember.... I'm just the messenger ;D

I think you'll be alright as long as you don't specificly metion it's encrypted, or it's commercial.

"How do I rip/copy a DVD?" ... vs ... "How do I rip/copy Braveheart" or "How do I rip/copy a commercial/encrypted DVD?".

Hope that helps.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasnt mad at you. Its dumb how a simple changing 1 word is the difference between a legal and illegal posting.
Thanks for helping.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
that's bull. So I can talk about downloading a movie from limewire
No, you can't discuss that here.
if I am using something I paid actual money for I can't post anything?
Bryan
It makes no difference if you paid for it or not. The U.S. laws (like it or not) are very clear in that you cannot duplicate/replicate copyrighted video material.
It makes no difference why or what you intend on doing with it, and it doesn't matter if that material is encrypted or not, it is still illegal to make a one-for-one copy of video material that is copyrighted.

And before anyone tries to justify that by citing "Fair Use" they are entitled to copy or backup their DVD collection, I would suggest reading the definition of what exactly "Fair Use" means by visiting the Official U.S. Copyright Office's page on the topic HERE.
Don't bother citing things from Wikipedia, some online tech magazine article, or some guy's blog online... I have linked directly to the source which is how the law is written. Nobody here wrote the laws in the U.S., we merely abide by them on this forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
that's bull. So I can talk about downloading a movie from limewire which is most likely an illegal copy but if I am using something I paid actual money for I can't post anything?
Bryan

Actually no, you can't. If you imply in any way, shape, or form what you're doing is illegal, it's not permitted here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasnt mad at you. Its dumb how a simple changing 1 word is the difference between a legal and illegal posting.
Thanks for helping.
Bryan

I fail to see how that's dumb? Shall we jeopardize the entire forum just because you want to discuss illegal topics? You do understand there are legal consequences if we openly allow discussion of illegal activity right?

If you don't mention anything that might be illegal, there's no way for us to know it is. I'm sorry if you find that so offensive. Maybe we should disallow any discussion of movies, DVDs, or copying anything at all? Would that be a better solution?

The forum rules have been around on this subject ever since Mac-Forums started. I'm just clarifying since some people apparently either don't read them or feel they don't apply to them.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for not knowing what I did was illegal. Sorry for making you all think I was on your backs. But thanks for all the negative rep for my ignorance.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I close my account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

We purge accounts after one year of inactivity. So if you truly want your account removed, as long as it is unused for one year, it will be purged.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Why close your account? You have been a good user here. Hey we all make mistakes. I know the rules seem harsh but it's for the good of Mac Forums. I for one would love this forum to be here tomorrow and not closed down due to the RIAA, MPAA who whoever.

Stick around, just be careful on that topic.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people on here are really cranky. I am tired of feeling frustrated when I need some help around here. It's rare when I post a help topic but when I do, I would enjoy help and not criticism. Ya know?
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some people on here are really cranky. I am tired of feeling frustrated when I need some help around here. It's rare when I post a help topic but when I do, I would enjoy help and not criticism. Ya know?
Bryan

Sorry to hear you've had trouble. Most people here seem to be able to find help whenever they need it. Hopefully you've just some isolated incidents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.