Sata or IDE/ATA?

Reaction score
I have been looking to build my external hard drive for my macbook and i am having trouble finding Sata Firewire enclosures. Is it really worth it to get a Sata HDD? or would i be fine with IDE/Ata drive? Ill be using the HDD to make a back up and media files. Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, it really doesn't. Your external hard drive would be hindered by the firewire or USB interface which doesn't come near the speeds of ATA or SATA. So, it doesn't matter which internal bus you go with.

OP
P
Reaction score
so i really wont see a big advantage if I use Sata drive as a backup and to store media files? do you have any good recommendations of a drive and enclosure, i was thinking a drive from 320gb-500gb

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so i really wont see a big advantage if I use Sata drive as a backup and to store media files? do you have any good recommendations of a drive and enclosure, i was thinking a drive from 320gb-500gb

There's absolutely no advantage at all. The external bus can only move data so fast. In this case, either type of hard drive can move data faster than the bus can.

I would recommend a Seagate because they offer a 5 year warranty. No one else comes close. As an external drive, you are again limited by the external bus speeds. So, performance is not really a factor - I'd go with the one that has the best warranty and lowest price.

OP
P
Reaction score
Alright thanks man, do you have any recommendations for a good enclosure for about $30-35? Also will I have to use any drivers? can I make a partioned bootable backup with mac os x disc utility?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Those will work. Has both Firewire and USB2. Good deal. Both will work together also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
am i missing a better value?

For $39 for a case that does both USB 2.0 and Firewire is a good deal. I paid $10 more the other day for the same basic case. Same for that 320GB HDD. NewEgg has very good prices.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For $39 for a case that does both USB 2.0 and Firewire is a good deal. I paid $10 more the other day for the same basic case. Same for that 320GB HDD. NewEgg has very good prices.

Agreed - and Firewire is key. Much higher sustained transfer rates, which is particularly important for speedy backups.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have another question...I have a macbook, sometimes i like to move it form my desk so how will i disconnect the drive? just eject it like an ipod? also will i beable to partion it? one partion for back up and one for media/downloads?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yes and yes. you can simply eject it like your ipod. also you can partition it however you would like
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.