Whooshing sound when sending e mail

Reaction score
I am using an Imac 24’ with updated software.

When I send an e-mail I get a Whooshing sound to tell me the e-mail has gone. However sometimes there is no sound at all. (The volume is up). The e-mail does go off as I can see them in the sent items.

Now strange inconsistent behavior was normal when I used windows. I’m now in my 3rd month on a Mac and im used to everything staying the same. Is there a reason why sometimes sending an e-mail is associated with a sound and sometimes is silent.

Thanks Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I am using an Imac 24’ with updated software.

When I send an e-mail I get a Whooshing sound to tell me the e-mail has gone. However sometimes there is no sound at all. (The volume is up). The e-mail does go off as I can see them in the sent items.

Now strange inconsistent behavior was normal when I used windows. I’m now in my 3rd month on a Mac and im used to everything staying the same. Is there a reason why sometimes sending an e-mail is associated with a sound and sometimes is silent.

Thanks Antony

Stealth mail delivery paper air plane?

Heh...not much help, I know.

Does it not make noise when Mail has focus, being the program that's currently active? Just may be there to let you know your message sent if you hit send and then are currently active in another program...

then again, I could be wrong...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I have experienced the same thing. The email is still sent. The inconsistent behavior is something hopefully Apple is fixing..It very may be, as Village pointed out just if Mail.app is in active or running in the background.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
When this happens, I'll bet your iChat client doesn't make any noise either, right? Happens to me too. Periodically (and entirely too often) iChat and mail sounds quit working, yet other sounds work fine.

The solution is to quit both mail and iChat, go into activity monitor, and search for a process called coreaudiod. Use Activity Monitor to quit that process (highlight and hit the big stop sign, acknowledge the box that pops up, and you'll have to enter your 'root' password.) It'll start itself back up again, and your mail sounds should be back along with iChat.

That's the way to do it without rebooting, which I'm averse to doing. It's still annoying and one of those things I hope Apple fixes some day.

OP
B
Reaction score
I dont use ichat at all, still have to work out what it is, Must say the behavier of the wooosh is inconsistant no matter if mail is open or "minimised".

Well so far this is the only simularity to windows, an unexplainable "Bug"

As long as its not just me im not worried.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.