• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sex, Drugs and Politics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
There's been a lot of stories in the news lately about politicians (in the UK that is) owning up to their drug experimentations and usage. People argue it's hypocritical for politicians to dictate drug laws when they themselves have broken it and for members of the public to be arrested for possession while alleged drug using MP's remain in office.

Im not sure how this issue is looked upon in other countries but in the UK it's a mixed bag of opinion. I was just wondering how other people see it? Personally i don't have a problem with it. In fact, i like it. It shows politicans are normal people. I love the fact that the home secretary probably had a spliff or two at uni or David Cameron free based heroin! Ok, im not saying they continue with it now but just because they dabbled in a few drugs at uni is no reason to begin slating them.

What's it like in the US for example? I can't see Arnie and George Bush getting together for a crack party but you never know....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I also think it's important for people to realize politicians are just regular people. Obviously you don't want a drug addict in charge of policies, but I'd say it's like saying you don't want someone with a speeding ticket in office - because speeding is a crime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It's ok...as long as they did not inhale...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It depends on when it happened. If it happened just before taking office or while in office, bad. It it was 20+ years ago while in university, not so bad. Usually a warning message about something like drugs coming from someone with first-hand experience is more powerful than someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
OK so those of us of a certain age can now admit to using drugs when we were young because we were
a) Lucky enough not to become addicted, and b) sensible enough to realise that drugs didn't have a part in a responsible adult life.
The politicians however had another reason, they found something much more addictive. POWER!
Call me an old cynic But......:Angry-Tongue:

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
It depends on when it happened. If it happened just before taking office or while in office, bad. It it was 20+ years ago while in university, not so bad. Usually a warning message about something like drugs coming from someone with first-hand experience is more powerful than someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

I agree totally. It's a bit of a paradox but I would trust the opinion of someone who's actually taken drugs over someone who is force fed sensationlist infomation like people who kill their parents after seeing a line of coke or one spliff will send you crazy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.