Duke Wi-Fi Crippled by Apple iPhones

Reaction score
One of the big selling points of Apple's iPhone is the ability to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi, but I.T. pros at Duke University might say otherwise. The iPhones on campus are flooding the school's wireless LAN with as many as 18,000 access requests per second, temporarily knocking out access points for 10 to 15 minutes at a time, according to Kevin Miller, Duke's assistant director of communications infrastructure.

The iPhones are requesting a router address that's not valid on Duke's network. When there's no answer, the iPhones keep asking, a process that essentially amounts to a distributed denial-of-service attack, knocking out access points and keeping Duke's I.T. staff scrambling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
In year 2000, we had the Slashdot effect. In 2007, we have the iPhone effect. :eek:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope this is not going to be an attack on Apple and iPhones or turn into one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I hope not! Whereas the /. effect is typically short lived, the iPhone effect won't be.

Mostly the /. effect is an accepted condition with minimal carping from "outsiders". A story gets posted on /. and 10,000 computers hit the subject website. Any site without the bandwidth and/or server capacity to handle the onslaught gets hosed (a techincal term, that). The regular sites - New York Times, Information Week, et al - today have the ability to deal with the /. effect. Those sites that are not under the regular scrutiny of /. really have what amounts to a DDoS attack. It *isn't* that, but it acts like that. /.ers regularly mirror the subject webpage. IP issues notwithstanding, it's tolerated.

My guess is that situations like Duke may happen, but economics being what they are, they'll be solved without much fanfare. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think it will be okay. Still, I'd watch it.

Regardless, it's a good point dtravis7!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.