• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express vs Hd

Reaction score
could someone who has experiance with both programs tell me the biggest differances because i would like to get hd but even at the education discount of 499 its still to expensive

also how well does idvd work compared to dvd studio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Not sure about the iDVD and DVDStudio but I do know that DVD studio is much more powerful with tons more capabilities

R

RobDreugan

I'd advise just going to apple's site to read up on it.

I guess the shorter answer is going to be, Express isn't something you'd really use, if you want to get into professional editing.

I'm sure imovie is more than enough if you just need to make basic edits.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The best way to put it is this:

iMovie -> Final Cut Express - > Final Cut HD
iDVD -> DVD Studio Pro

Final Cut Expresss is similar to Final Cut HD, but with there are some option in Final Cut HD that are not in Final Cut Express. Whereas iMovie is the intro to video editting.

iDVD is not as powerful as DVD Studio Pro. You will need an superdrive to run iDVD, whereas DVD Studio Pro will work with any external DVD burner.

Yes, there is a hack to get iDVD to work with an external DVD burner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.