Guitar Through iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Hi, at the macworld keynote 2004 there was a guitar played through Garageband :D

Is there any way to do this through USB2 [iBook] with standard electric guitars? :confused: :D :D It would make my switch complete :D :D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its the last thing i keep my pc for :(

C

Chamorro

Like you said, you'd need an input port for it. There was a thread a few weeks back along similar lines. Digidesign and Edirol make products that let you connect instruments via USB or FireWire. Some also offer MIDI interfaces, and other additional features.

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had a G5, all i would need is the Monster Istrument Adaptor, right? :D

Thanks

C

Chamorro

Probably. I'm pretty sure G5's have those types of inputs. Could be a good reason to upgrade :cool:

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have reasons to upgrade as well as that :D (superdrive, hard disk space) maybe a G5 iMac if they look sweet

G5's do have the input, but i don't know if its all i need

C

Chamorro

Graeme43 said:
I have reasons to upgrade as well as that :D (superdrive, hard disk space) maybe a G5 iMac if they look sweet

G5's do have the input, but i don't know if its all i need

You'll also need GarageBand (free w/ new Mac's, I think) or something like AmpliTube on the software side.

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it free with my iBook

the instrument adator and line + GarageBand - is all i need? :D or will it not work because i heard it may overload the line in

P

pedXing

Hey Graeme get an iMic ... im getting an iBook, and i have the same problem, get the iMic, its only like $30 and it has line-in ports that connect to usb, then buy a Monster Instrument adapter for $19.99 and ure set buddy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
well if it was just you, yes. If it was more people, i would buy a mixer so you could record multiple at the same time. Thats what i do. Just buy a cheap 4 line one. You might consider buying a refurbished eMac. They do the job nicely and they pretty cheap at the apple store. What kind of guitar do you have?

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to see if the new iMac is worth buying :) if it comes out of course :)

I have a Telecaster and would like 2 inputs (would be awesome), but 1 would do

K

klumick

if your guitar has active pickups, the signal will be strong enought through the imic, if you have passive pickups, it wil be a very faint sound. keep that in mind

OP
Graeme43
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea what it is :( :confused:

C

Chamorro

If your Tele is stock, they're passive pickups.

Easiest way to tell is that active pickups require batteries. They also generally have a "closed" look to them, as if they're entirely covered by a single piece of plastic, whereas you can usually see the poles on passive pickups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Passive pickups can have covered poles too.
As far as I know there's no Telecaster with active pickups (if it's an original Fender).
To come back to the initial question,I don't know about the iBook's Audio, but I have a last generation PM G4, and an Ibanez guitar (passive pickups). I plugged it directly into the regular Audio Line in, with GarageBand, and to my surprise it worked fine, even without Preamp. As klumick said, a passive guitar normally doesn't give enough output to connect it to a usual Line in port, without Preamp.
Nevertheless, I was looking for an Audio interface, as I also wanted to connect a MIDI keyboard. I bought the Tascam US-122, and it's really good for the price. it has 2 guitar/microphone inputs(1/4" jack and XLR), 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out, 1 headphone and Stereo Line out.
It's connected through USB and also gets it's power from there.
i don't know the price in the US, but I've paid 220,- Euro here in Europe for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.