Best Software / Products for T-Shirt Design

Reaction score
My friend has a Windows PC and he uses some software in combination with special paper to create iron-on t-shirt designs. The software allows him to design whatever he wants and then it flips the image so it will iron onto the shirt correctly.

Now, I'm wondering - what would be the best software to use and what products (type of paper or whatever) would be best for me to be able to do this with my Mac.

OSX 10.4, brand new HP printer, and I have Photoshop and Fireworks amongst other programs.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. Basically, what's the best way for me to design t-shirt prints with my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'd probably have to say either Photoshop or Illustrator. I'm assuming you'd need a special printer and/or paper to do an iron-on-type image.

OP
B
Reaction score
But then how do I reverse it correctly so it will iron-on right side up? And what kind of paper should I use?

With Windows you can buy a package that contains software, paper, and other stuff all in one package but I don't think that software works with Mac. So, I'm looking for other options similar to that.

Otherwise I kind of need specific instructions as to how I can flip images and text in Photoshop. And, again, what kind of paper I should use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
See, that's the thing. I've never done that before.. You can mirror/flip images in Photoshop CS2 easily though. I have no idea what kind of paper/printer you'd have to use.

I highly doubt there's a similar kit that you're looking for for the Mac platform. Try doing a Google search for something similar and see what you come up with, or even search for Mac-compatible printers that are capable of that feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Usually, the iron on papers will come with software. Sometimes they won't, if it came with his printer then the application might be on one of the software disks. I know there is mac software for this type of process. HP software has this feature. You might just ask what the program is, or what kind of paper he's using. If it's avery, they might have a software download on their site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
I've always wanted to do this. Do you need a special kind of ink to do this aswell? Or is it all in the paper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
It's the paper. You can buy special paper to do this. It should work on most home printers, but the paper would probably specify which printers work best. I designed and made my own t-shirt for a high school project around 7 years ago. You should be able to buy the paper from any place with a decent range of printing supplies.

You don't need any special inks, at least not for the paper I used. Problem is, the finish was pretty poor - almost like melting plastic onto a shirt. It was flaky and cracked a lot. I had to tile images myself.

As for software, a specific 'easy print' software would probably be the last thing you want. Aside from the fact it may have bugs, or not be compatible with mac at all, they probably wouldn't have proper resolution management, colour profiles or offer the creative possibilities of apps such as Adobe's software. GIMP would be a better choice over those easy print apps, and is free - I don't think it has colour profiles, but you may not be worried about that.

Personally, if you want a quality t-shirt print, take the design to a print place and have them do it. You'd get a quality, lasting print

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.