Hard Drive Help

Reaction score
Hello all! I am interested in backing up my MacBook and need a harddrive. I want to spend about $100 and was wondering if anyone could suggest a brand.

Also, do you have to format the harddrive once you have it for the Mac? Do you loose space?

In addition, do you treat the harddrive like a removable disk? How does the setup work?

Thanks gang! I await your responses.

-Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd get either a Western Digital, or Seagate HD, stay away from Maxtor. It depends on how you plan on using it. If its just for backups for your Mac, then you'll want to format it for Mac, if you plan on using it with a PC too, then you'll want to format it as FAT32.

No, you won't lose space by formatting it, but it won't be exactly what the box says. If you buy a 250GB HD, you'll probably only be able to use 230GB±

The drive will work just like a flashdrive. Plug it in via Firewire, or USB, depending on what kind of drive you get, and it will mount on your desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I'd get either a Western Digital, or Seagate HD, stay away from Maxtor.

I haven't had any problems with Maxtor. Your reasoning? I have one maxtor external and one internal with a hard drive enclosure, no problems after 2-3 years of use. None.

BTW - Seagate now owns Maxtor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Maxtor is known as the worst of the big three, thats all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.