• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD Project to .avi/.mov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC Pro, ESX server, & 17" G4 Powerbook
Hello,

I have a question that seems to be eluding me all across the internet. I have a slew of iDVD Projects that I have made. Now I would like to convert the files into .avi/.mov. Is this even possible? I cannot seem to find an answer. Can somebody please tell me how to convert/export my iDVD projects into movie files that would be playable on Quicktime.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Not in iDVD as far as I know. However, your iDVD projects probably started out their life as iMovie projects, and iMovie can export video to QuickTime format (but not avi, not unless you've installed one of the Flip4Mac tools [not the free player, but one of the paid-for export tools]).

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC Pro, ESX server, & 17" G4 Powerbook
No seriously? You figure Apple would make it easier to coonvert iDVD porjects into quicktime. ****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I understand the frustration, however the two tools are really designed to work together. The preferred method of creating a DVD project is to edit the video in iMovie first (this is how chapter marks are created, for example) and then to submit the project to iDVD for setting up navigation and themes, and then burning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.