Extra screen? CubaseLE or LogicEx?

Reaction score
Hiya guys i was wondering what adapter i need to buy to connect an extra screen to my macbook, i have a 24" widescreen monitor that would be perfect for recording i just dont know how to connect it to my macbook via USB. What options to go thru etc....

(i dont want split screen, just to be able to use an external monitor when im at home)

My firewire connection is taken by my firebox (audio interface) which also came with cubase LE, i was planning on buying logic express as most have told me its easier to use than cubase, but isit really worth me spending 300-400 when i got cubase LE for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hiya guys i was wondering what adapter i need to buy to connect an extra screen to my macbook, i have a 24" widescreen monitor that would be perfect for recording i just dont know how to connect it to my macbook via USB. What options to go thru etc....

(i dont want split screen, just to be able to use an external monitor when im at home)

My firewire connection is taken by my firebox (audio interface) which also came with cubase LE, i was planning on buying logic express as most have told me its easier to use than cubase, but isit really worth me spending 300-400 when i got cubase LE for free?

IT should have a mini DV out. You need an adapter from what I understand. A monitor won't connect via USB or Fire Wire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Yeah, that's the adapter that I use (iMacs and MacBooks have the same output display-wise).

Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't pay extra money to move from Cubase LE to Express. I would only pay money to move up to Cubase 4 (actually many people find 3 to be more stable) or to Logic Pro. If you get a student discount you can get either for $500.

I also don't find Logic easier to learn. In fact some find the name ironic. There are some odd quirks about it (the way you go about using the EXS24 sampler for example). But some find Logic easier too so it's up to the user. Ulitmately the major differences are Cubase handles audio better, both handles MIDI well, but Logic has much better plug-ins and the 'environment' layer will give you more 'power user' abilities (although it's the source of confusion for beginners too). If you're serious about getting into production I would visit some music production forums and see what others have to say. In the end they are all tools to achieve the same goal, it just depends on what you find easier w/ your workflow and preferences.

I personally have used Cubase SX 2 for a few years, Logic (5.5? on Windows) recently, and now I'm using Reason to hold me over while I wait to buy the new iteration of Logic Pro (which could be tomorrow or 10 years from now).

OP
C
Reaction score
ive installed cubase LE and when you goto edit a bit of sound you cant even edit it, liek if you load up a smaple you can view it in the edit part but you cant cut anything, its not like stretch, drag and highlight then cut copy or delete.

i can see why this was free all u can do with it is record really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
ive installed cubase LE and when you goto edit a bit of sound you cant even edit it, liek if you load up a smaple you can view it in the edit part but you cant cut anything, its not like stretch, drag and highlight then cut copy or delete.

i can see why this was free all u can do with it is record really.

Well, other programs and stuff are better at that. Plus Cubase isn't UB until 4 and everyone including the windows users are complaining about problems with it.

You can cut copy and paste in Cubase as well though. Trust me, it's there unless isn't just something they left out in the LE version, but I doubt it since it is an important feature.

Reaction score
I might take back what I said, I thought Cubase LE is the Cubase equivalent of Express. I've only done a brief search, but it seems like Cubase Studio 4 is the current equivalent of Express. Could someone clarify? LE could be an even lower version, severely crippled like you said and not worth using at all.

OP
C
Reaction score
ive checked an your right cubase LE isnt even available to buy, you justr get it free with audio intertfaces :)

im going for logic express as i heard its better for audio, and i like garageband (heard logic express is similar but way better) plus on t6he cubas forums everyone has problems after problem...problem solved :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Cubase SX 3 is a great great great platform for Windows...unfortunately it's not UB and Cubase 4 is really bad with features that crash pretty much when any one attempts to use them, from what I've heard.

Logic will probably be your best bet as with a student discount (c'mon, get your friend/neighbor's middle school kid, etc...to purchase it for you) it's only $150. If you want some thing else, look at Digital Performer or one of the other mac recording softwares..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.