• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HP & The Order of the Phoenix - movie(no spoilers)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
First off, let me say, I absolutely love the Fed Ex commercial with the guy that wants to ship a package to pa-***-nix Arizona.

Movie:

I was OK. It was really was. It wasn't up to par with the rest of the sequel and it felt really out of place with the way the rest of the movies were made. It was only a little over 2 hours long and they completely dashed through several scenes that could have taken much more time. They could have also put another hour in with stuff from the book and still not had a complete movie.

They also portrayed some characters unfairly. I think Hagrid's half brother was originally more vicious and brutal. There's also several scenes and plots that were left out all together.

If you've never read the books, it may leave you feeling like it's an ok movie and not really up to par with the rest of the series.

If you have read the books, you won't mind so much as you know what's coming next and hoping that they do a much better job with the next movie.

edit: Sorry, that this is really ambiguous, but I said no spoilers.

Reaction score
I read the book but still felt weirded out by the movie. I did not like the movie. (hated it, actually) It bored me to death.

You're right about Hagrid's half brother. I don't understand why they made him out like that. What I hated most was that the scenes were chopped rather abruptly and there was no continuous flow to the story. It's like they spliced it and put it back together and showed it to the people. I'm sorry, I just did not like the movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I liked the first two movies the best - I think they captured the "fun" spirit of the books. The second two movies were very dark by comparison, something I wouldn't take a young kid to see. This latest one was pretty good - not fantastically great - but it did bring back some of the hope that the previous two movies were lacking. But I suppose that's how the books flow so it makes sense. One thing that bugged me was that the whole movie was really dark visually. Everything just seemed black - I'm curious to see how well the movie will perform on consumer television sets with those kinds of black levels.

Also they did a REALLY good job with Professor Umbridge. I hated her 10 seconds after she was introduced lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Technically, to follow a hero's journey, in a 3 act play, you have the prologue and ACT 1 introducing characters and story...act 2 is where all the bad things happen as the hero is on his quest (people and things die, bad things happen to the hero, etc), and act 3 is the heroic resolution with the epilogue tying things up at the end.

Now in this case, movies 1&2 are the Prologue and part of act 1...movies 3-5 are act 2, and 6 & 7 making up act 3.

IMO that makes a lot of sense in how the journey is supposed to work...

I'm going to see the new movie tonight! :D yay!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
ok is it me or did hagred's half brother look like the guy from Mad Magazine....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i really enjoyed the movie, but i still liked the last one better. indeed it is dark but it is no longer a happy go lucky book either! bad things are happening and this movie is not made for kiddies but young adults and adults.

agreed that Umbridge was really well done. hated her. wanted her zapped.

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
i really enjoyed the movie, but i still liked the last one better. indeed it is dark but it is no longer a happy go lucky book either! bad things are happening and this movie is not made for kiddies but young adults and adults.

agreed that Umbridge was really well done. hated her. wanted her zapped.

The Weasley brothers scene was rushed as well as the discovery. Some many things they should have fixed. And the OWLs were like 2% of the movie while they were 30% of the book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.