Right clicking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
you can use a mouse with 2 buttons to right click or you can ctrl+click to get the same effect

OP
B
Reaction score
But to use the right-clicking feature, I cannot with the built in mouse on the Macbook? THat's kind of lame. I must be missing something??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
That would require an extra button, but if you like there's another option where you can put two fingers on the trackpad and click. You have to enable this in your system preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Tap the trackpad with two fingers.

You might have to turn this on in System Preferences first.

Apple menu > System Preferences

Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad tab

[edit]
Too slow. ;p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
But to use the right-clicking feature, I cannot with the built in mouse on the Macbook? THat's kind of lame. I must be missing something??
Sounds like you're missing Windows. :D

Right-clicking isn't needed on the Mac OS. This is why it is disabled by default in the System Preferences, even for systems that come with the Mighty Mouse. Right-clicking really doesn't offer any more functionality, as all of its features can be accessed without it. The right click is merely a convenience and extra feature, but not a necessary function for Mac OS.
I use a two-button mouse, but I rarely if ever use the right button.

Not having a right-click is usually only a major issue for people who are recent Mac users (less than a year or two). It is a very hard habit to break coming from Windows. :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Tap the trackpad with two fingers.

You might have to turn this on in System Preferences first.

Apple menu > System Preferences

Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad tab

[edit]
Too slow. ;p

Yeay! Thanks so much! You helped me. Finally, I have the double clicking back without having to use the dreadful mighty mouse. And yes, I am missing the double-clicking from Windows. I have been a Pc user for my entire life, and just recently switched to a Mac, and haven't looked back since...Until I realized the double clicking issue. Thanks, have a good night...er, morning.

Reaction score
I only use if for copy and paste. I find it easier than going high lighting something then going up to file>copy than clicking where i want it go then clicking file>paste again.

vxd

Reaction score
Hey I might be wrong but i was told right click on mouse was on by MS? yeah i know it sounds stupid. Anyone know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Right-clicking isn't needed on the Mac OS. This is why it is disabled by default in the System Preferences, even for systems that come with the Mighty Mouse. Right-clicking really doesn't offer any more functionality, as all of its features can be accessed without it. The right click is merely a convenience and extra feature, but not a necessary function for Mac OS.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree.

Perhaps this was true in the Classic Mac OS, but since the advent of OS X, Apple's philosophy of "every command available through the menu bar" has been slowly going out the window. (especially in Tiger)

Mac OS X has slowly relied more and more on context (right-click) menus.

Examples:

-Open the Spotlight window (type something in Spotlight then click Show All, or press Option Command Space).
You'll notice that the menu bar isn't a "Spotlight menu bar"; it'll just be the menu bar of whatever app you were in before, except all the menu items are inactive.
As such:
1) So you can't use Edit > Cut/Copy/Paste for the search box. You must use the context menu.
2) Once you do a search, you can't select an item and use the menu bar to do commands on the selection.
You must use the context menu. (which, BTW, has these commands: Open, Get Info..., Reveal in Finder, Slideshow, Mail, Create Workflow...)

-In the Finder, there are certain commands that are not in the menu bar, for some reason.
1)Show Package Contents for apps.
2) Slideshow. Only available in the context menu.

Now it's true that for the above 2, one could use the Action menu on the Toolbar instead, which is sort of "cheating," because the Action menu basically is the context menu. But I suppose you could consider that those can still be done without right-clicking.

However, there are 2 exceptions to this:
1) Items on the Desktop, since there's no toolbar.
2) Menu items from plugins in Contextual Menu Items folder, such as the Automator menu; these can only be reached through the context menu; they're unavailable even in the Action menu.

-The commands in the Finder Sidebar's context menu are not available in the menu bar either.

-In System Preferences, "Remove [name of pref pane] Preference Pane" (for 3rd party pref panes) is only available in the context menu.

-In the text fields of Cocoa apps (e.g., Safari, TextEdit, etc.), the commands Spelling, Font, Speech, Writing Direction. (though Speech is available in the Services menu)

-In iTunes, "Check Selection" and "Uncheck Selection" are only available in the context menu.

-etc. etc. etc.

I've noticed tons of little examples like this over time.

Also, have you noticed that in every new version of OS X, they add more and more items to the context menu of the Finder (as well as other apps).
Back in 10.2, the Finder context menu had like 1-3 items; it now has 5-10.
And from what I've seen in preview pictures of Leopard, it would seem they've now added View As and Arrange By to it. (kinda reminds me of... Windows)

In any case, all this to say that like it or not, context menus are now fairly important, sometimes even necessary, in OS X.

[note]

Man, this has turned into such a long post. XD

Ah well, I'm a stickler for UI and UI details. ;p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree.

Apple's philosophy of "every command available through the menu bar" has been slowly going out the window.
Mac OS X has slowly relied more and more on context (right-click) menus.
'Rely' is a bit strong. I don't discount that they are adding some things, but nothing absolutely necessary. I also agree with the menu bar comment... but I never said that you needed to use the menu bar for everything. ;):D

Examples:

-Open the Spotlight window (type something in Spotlight then click Show All, or press Option Command Space).
You'll notice that the menu bar isn't a "Spotlight menu bar"; it'll just be the menu bar of whatever app you were in before, except all the menu items are inactive.
As such:
1) So you can't use Edit > Cut/Copy/Paste for the search box. You must use the context menu.(or you can use the key combo Command+C/V)
2) Once you do a search, you can't select an item and use the menu bar to do commands on the selection.
You must use the context menu. (which, BTW, has these commands: Open, Get Info..., Reveal in Finder, Slideshow, Mail, Create Workflow...)(Again, you can use key combos, Command+I, double-click or Command+O to open, Reveal in Finder... well this one really is rather pointless as it won't really accomplish any more than what Spotlight is already doing....but you could just use Command+R to reveal in Finder, if you want to mail it, simply drag the file to a Mail message, If you want to create a workflow then drag the file to Automator.)

-In the Finder, there are certain commands that are not in the menu bar, for some reason.
1)Show Package Contents for apps.
2) Slideshow. Only available in the context menu.(or by dragging the file(s) to Preview)

Now it's true that for the above 2, one could use the Action menu on the Toolbar instead, which is sort of "cheating," because the Action menu basically is the context menu. But I suppose you could consider that those can still be done without right-clicking.(precisely, :) )

However, there are 2 exceptions to this:
1) Items on the Desktop, since there's no toolbar.(but there is... the Desktop is nothing more than a Finder window. You can use all of the Finder menu items on Desktop items by simply opening a Finder window and clicking the Desktop from the Sidebar.)
2) Menu items from plugins in Contextual Menu Items folder, such as the Automator menu; these can only be reached through the context menu; they're unavailable even in the Action menu.

-In the text fields of Cocoa apps (e.g., Safari, TextEdit, etc.), the commands Spelling, Font, Speech, Writing Direction. (though Speech is available in the Services menu)(You got me there, but these are not very useful or relevant to most people... at least not yet.)

-In iTunes, "Check Selection" and "Uncheck Selection" are only available in the context menu.(or by physically checking and unchecking the selection box)

-etc. etc. etc.

So you still really don't need to right-click. You can get by with keyboard commands or by simply dragging what you need to whatever app you are trying to reach by a contextual menu. I am not saying it isn't convenient for some... it just isn't really necessary. :D:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Right clicking may not be necessary, but I, along with a lot of other converted "windows users" (and I think Mac users also, especially non coders and those that never even really learned to use the command line), have no interest in going back to the days of Basic, DOS or win 3.1.

I want convenience when I'm using my computer. Admittedly, it seems we have gotten lazy in our use of the computer. Sorry, but I have no interest in learning 25, 50, or 100 keyboard commands on how to do everything any longer. Or in keeping a handy chart around. Have no interest in the need for keeping both of my hands on the keyboard either. Have no interest in having to move my mouse up to the menu bar when the action is, and should be available right there where the mouse is already in any modern OS. Don't want to have to drag something across the screen when I could do it without having to move the mouse at all.

I haven't learned all this stuff on my Mac yet (and maybe never will), but I can still totally get around in Windows without a mouse via the keyboard. And on occasion is still necessary when working on someone's system.

Convenience is the key for all users whether that be the command line, keyboard shortcuts, the menu system or right clicking. Each has it's own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Have to say I enjoy and agree most of the time with your no nonsense approach to things DB. But this is similar to what you are always saying about OS X and windows, use the one that works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
correct me if I'm wrong, but right click is only used for:
1)choosing a colour label
2)the open with command
3)and to check spelling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
correct me if I'm wrong, but right click is only used for:
1)choosing a colour label
2)the open with command
3)and to check spelling
Adding color labels can be done through the 'File' menu and by the "Get Info" window command as well.
"Open With..." can be achieved by simply dragging the file to the desired app. (...and the "Get Info" window)
Spelling can be checked through the 'Edit' option in the menu bar of the app you are working in.

I agree, right clicking is convenient for some... more so than using keystrokes to those people. I also agree that one should exploit these conveniences.
I was merely pointing out that right-clicking isn't explicitly necessary in the Mac OS. This may be an archaic hangover from days past, but it doesn't change the fact. Virtually all the functions of a right-click can be achieved by other means, with no need for a second mousing button.

Yes, right-click is still a feature of the OS however, and certainly a welcome one for some. It is all about choice.
:D

vxd

Reaction score
As a design student, Right click is as important as left click. I cant live without double click mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

You can use the buttons on the mac just hold down ctrl when you click

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I know this thread is a year old, but...right-clicking is neither unique to Windows nor original to Windows. Linux uses the right-click, and in all versions of the Amiga operating system (which is still around, btw), right-clicking is necessary to pull down the menu on the Workbench screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, but a two finger tap still works, as does crtl-click ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.