• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macs are a pc!

Reaction score
This is just one thing i wanted to say that is probably just me being picky
but by the very definition of pc (personal computer) macs are a pc. I find
it annoying in the extreme when every one says macs are better than a
"pc" for this very reason i get the feeling its just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You are correct sir.... doesn't it feel good! :D

PC = Personal Computer

Welcome to the Forums.

vxd

Reaction score
Get it right people. PC = Personal Computer.
I know people here hate it when Mac is called MAC.

Annoying isn't it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yes but it has simply just become coommon for people to call a windows machine a PC and a apple computer a mac

D R

Reaction score
I agree.

I always found it interesting how the term "PC" became synonymous with a Wintel machine. I wonder when that shift happened? I suppose it doesn't really matter.

vxd

Reaction score
No Mate! People call Windows PC because of those Mac ads. You know. "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac". It is legal issues why they don't say "Hi I'm a Windows".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
PC stands for Personal computer, but when comparing Macs to Windows based computers, the term PC is used to represent windows computers in general since so many companies manufature them (eg, dell, HP, gateway, etc)

However, it just depends on the context it's being used in. I for one would think it was lame if the 'Get a Mac' commercials went: "Hi, I'm a Pc with OS X, and Im a PC with windows!"

Reaction score
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Personal computers are also known as microcomputers and home computers. Often, the term "personal computer" is used exclusively for computers running a Microsoft Windows operating system, but this is erroneous. For example, a Macintosh running Mac OS [...][ is a ] personal computer.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer#Today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Wikipedia said:
Often, the term "personal computer" is used exclusively for computers running a Microsoft Windows operating system, but this is erroneous. For example, a Macintosh running Mac OS and an IBM PC compatible running Linux are both personal computers. This confusion stems from the fact that the term "PC" is often used as a shorthand form for "IBM PC compatible" and historically Mac OS has run on non-IBM compatible hardware like the PowerPC architecture. Linux runs on virtually any kind of hardware, but was developed later and has not achieved popularity comparable to Microsoft Windows.

Rule 1 of Marketing: Push your brand; differentiate it from competitors.
Rule 2 of Marketing: Don't confuse your audience.
Rule 3 of Marketing: Repeat rule 1 & 2; then repeat rule 3.

Would the iPod be so successful if the add campaign went something like: "there's a new digital audio player on the market, and it's by a company called Apple... oh, and by the way it's called iPod.... buy it? Please?" NO! It's just dancing, music, Apple logo, iPod I LOVE PINK FLUFFY THINGS!

Same with the Mac: forget the "it's a PC, but it's different because it's made by a company called Apple, and... erm... it's better. Oh yeah, Mac we like to call it". It's just "Mac MY LITTLE PONIES all over your PC BUY MY SOMETHING LIKE A BARBIE DOLL. Buy it PUPPIES AND KITTY CATS!"

[far too tired and hungry to be making sense... I need a beer]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I always found it interesting how the term "PC" became synonymous with a Wintel machine. I wonder when that shift happened?

Probably about the time that Windows became the dominant OS. Considering that Windows has had a lock on the desktop market for a number of years and that 98% of the computer buying world had no idea that there was anything different out there, it seem obvious that the two would become synonymous despite the fact that it is incorrect. Only within the last few years have many people begun to notice that there is a viable alternative and that it is PC, just not a Windows based PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I agree.

I always found it interesting how the term "PC" became synonymous with a Wintel machine. I wonder when that shift happened? I suppose it doesn't really matter.

The original machine Wintel PCs are based on was the IBM PC, Personal Computer, PC being a model name. The PC moniker stuck.

Macs are personal computers but they are not strictly PCs.

M

MacHeadCase

Get it right people. PC = Personal Computer.
I know people here hate it when Mac is called MAC.

Annoying isn't it.

That's because Mac is NOT the same as MAC. MAC is Media Access Control address which is hardly the same as Macintosh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Macs are personal computers but they are not strictly PCs.

Yes, quite right. Macs are personal computers, but not Personal Computers :) I think the main reason 'PC' is used is because it is a catch all term for 'generic' computers. If you have a Mac, you call it a Mac. Some people even say they have a Dell (that's up to them, but I wouldn't advertise it ...) Either way, PC is easier than "Windows based Personal Computer", and doesn't cause any problems with trademarks and whatnot.

Reaction score
And the "older" Macs weren't just PCs, they are ppc's - power PCs. Yah, right! POWER. haha :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And the "older" Macs weren't just PCs, they are ppc's - power PCs. Yah, right! POWER. haha :D

My POWER PC (PPC) works just fine, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
so now not only do people make fun of mac users for being mac users, mac users are making fun of ppc mac users?

-chrsi

M

MacHeadCase

Looks like it, doesn't it?

I've got a Power (Yah, right! POWER. haha) PC G5 iMac and I love it to bits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I've always made fun of Mac's, even though I'm a user myself.
I hated my G5 iMac, it was so annoying and it sounded like a hair dryer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.