MOUNTing NTFS harddrive in OSX 10.4.1

Reaction score
So, from what I understand OSX cannot WRITE to a NTFS file system, however it can read nativly in 10.4 and up.

Now, when I plug a NTFS drive into my USB 2.0 port, the drive does not show up on my desktop. I checked the "about my mac" menu and it shows up under the USB menu as a drive, with the proper size, etc, and it says it's working.

Am I doing something wrong?

I can't find the drive anywhere!

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
applications>utilities>disk utility
from there select, mount drive
-chrsi

OP
shoelessone
Reaction score
applications>utilities>disk utility
from there select, mount drive
-chrsi

sweet, well, thanks for the tip, BUT

Although the drive showed up like it should (name, size, etc), when I clicked mount it said "disk 2g1s could not be mounted, run first aide and try again"

Except all of the "first aide" options are unavaiable and I don't want to loose the data on the rive...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There will not be any first aid options with an NTFS drive since it can not write to NTFS. Does the drive have a Volume Name? Seen that cause issues a few times where there was no name.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
DTravis is probably right - but if that's not the case, try running a CHKDSK on it from a Windows machine.

Attach the drive to a Windows box. Click Start => Run, type: CMD => hit Enter.

This will bring up a command prompt. Type:

CHKDSK C: /R

Substitute C: for the drive letter that the drive uses (probably E: or F:, check My Computer to verify). After it's done, try reattaching to the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are just trying to copy files off of the drive, perhaps you should use your PC as an intermediary. Plug the drive back in on your PC and then enable Windows sharing on your Mac. From the PC, use the Neighborhood Network trash to gain visibility to your Mac.

Now your PC can see both the drive and the Mac and you can just copy stuff over. This assumes both the PC and the Mac are both connected to your router at the same time, but most internet routers have four ports minimum, so hopefully this should be possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.