Help! Bought the wrong mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook2.16 intel duo
Having just (8 days ago) bought a 13" macbook 2.16GHz intel duo (my first mac, infact my first laptop), due to poor research and budgetery restraints, i now find myself with an albeit beautiful machine with a fantastic OS, but without the capability to run the latest games at a high quality.

I have today come in to some unexpected funds and am wishing I could return my MB and purchase an MBP, but the apple returns policy expressly states that they will not accept used returns which do not meet the user's expectations.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
you're within the 14 day return limit. you can return it!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook2.16 intel duo
B. If you have received the ordered Product(s) and have simply changed your mind about purchasing them you may return the Product(s) or entitlement to Service to us for a refund, subject to the payment of the transportation charges set out within paragraph 7.2 D below and provided:

i) You inform us of your decision to cancel the contract within 14 Calendar Days of delivery of the Product or the date you purchased the Services; and

ii) The Product(s) are returned in their original condition and the security seals on the Product(s) are intact.

I have obviously broken all security seals....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Don't trust what that says. Package it up as nice as you can, and as close to factory as possible. Just take it in to the apple store, they'll take it. They can send these off to apple to get new seals, refurbish it, etc.

That is, if you bought it at an Apple Store. If not, the best you can do is whine to an Apple person at the UK number (not sure what it is).

Sorry I can't help much. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
How did you purchase it? As the you are entitled to more rights if you brought it Online, including the "I don't want it anymore" excuse.

I'm sure if you explain to them that it's only 8 days old and that you actually want to spend more money at the store rather just a simple "Can I have my Money Back" they will almost certainly help you.

But like I say, where did you get it from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd explain to the employee's you want to buy a MBP instead - they're sure to be more sympathetic then...

Worst case, you sell it on eBay... You'll possibly lose a bit, but since it's basically brand new it shouldn't be too bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yh as above explain you want to return it and buy a MBP right now (when your returning it) because they will know that you are still going to be buying their products with your money

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook2.16 intel duo
Thanks for the advice, bought it at an apple authorised dealer (i think this may be different to an actual apple shop). I'll go see them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
If you can't return it Ebay it. I have had very good luck in the past with this, usually coming within $100 of the origninal cost. Just toss in a couple extras, like a laptop bag or maybe an extra dimm of memory. You spend a few bucks up front but they pay off big time in the auction.

Good luck either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
DO NOT buy a macbook or mac book pro if you intend to play games primarily.
buy a windows laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
buy a windows laptop.

A MBP with the new Nvidia M 8600GT will play games adequately and as far as I know will support DX 10.

I believe it benchmarks a little higher than the go 7900gs that's in my Dell and it's running at 1920x1200 resolutio, which is only available in the 17" MBP

I'm running all my games at that resolution and almost all of them are at full specs, including Never Winter Nights 2, Battlefield 2, WOW, Eve Online, Civ IV, and a few others.

You'll just need boot camp and a full install CD of Vista or XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
buy a windows laptop.

Well I'd personally extend that to Laptops of both Operating Systems, mainly due to the fact, that new PC Games will often push your Spec's higher and higher and if you expect to get the best of what they can offer you will want to stay in a somewhat parallel to that.

I would keep that in mind, however if that's not an issue I don't think it will matter. But do consider what you will be using your Laptop primarily for, if it's for Windows, you are naturally better off having a PC/Laptop that has been designed around that fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Well I'd personally extend that to Laptops of both Operating Systems, mainly due to the fact, that new PC Games will often push your Spec's higher and higher and if you expect to get the best of what they can offer you will want to stay in a somewhat parallel to that.

I would keep that in mind, however if that's not an issue I don't think it will matter. But do consider what you will be using your Laptop primarily for, if it's for Windows, you are naturally better off having a PC/Laptop that has been designed around that fact.

i now find myself with an albeit beautiful machine with a fantastic OS, but without the capability to run the latest games at a high quality.

message is too short

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.