Anyone using a regular Airport card with an iBook G4?

W

wickedbusa

Hi Everyone. I have a question. Several people have been telling me that the regular Airport card gets better reception than the Airport Extreme card. Is this true? If this is the case, is it possible to install a regular Airport card in place of my Airport Extreme card? Even when my iBook is right next to the router, I still do not have full signal. It just annoys me because when I am at school, if I don't sit in the same chair, I have a signal that keeps dropping while everyone else around me has no problems.

Here at the specs of my iBook:

12" iBook G4 800 mHz
640 MB RAM
Panther 10.3.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No you can not install a regular Airport Card they are completely different sizes

OP
W

wickedbusa

Well there goes that idea. Is there any other way of improving reception? I've checked my connections and my antenna is plugged in all the way. If I am farther than about 40 feet from my router I lose my signal. I'm using a Linksys router that has no trouble serving my sisters laptops that are twice the distance from the router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
maybe you got a buggy airport card? Have you tried switching it for someone else's? Or can't that really be the problem? I'm not sure..

Maybe turn off the 'use network robustness' function?

OP
W

wickedbusa

I don't know anyone else with an Apple. Everyone else I know has a Windoze laptop. I have tried turning the "robustness" function on and off and it pretty much stays the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
wickedbusa said:
I don't know anyone else with an Apple. Everyone else I know has a Windoze laptop. I have tried turning the "robustness" function on and off and it pretty much stays the same.

Just to check, try holding down the "option" key while you click on the Airport icon in your menu bar. Then select "About Airport". What are the various numbers that are displayed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could also try installing macstumbler which sans for airport networks and tells you some information about signal strengh and stuff.

Maybe that would help you to diagnose the problem?

I'm not sure what the address is, just google it...

OP
W

wickedbusa

Framework: 341.1.0
Menu Extra: 340.23.0
Airport Extreme Driver: 342.5.0
Admin Utility: 340.26.0
Setup Assistant: 340.10.0

Here are the numbers. I have no idea what they mean, but here you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No i meant the numbers on signal strengh etc that the program macstumbler tells you about wireless networks in your range.

For example: On my balcony i can tell that there are 3 encrypted wireless networks in my area, and that the signal strengh for network a is: 17 (weak), b is 29(also weakish) and c is 56 (my neighbour next door :))

Using macstumbler you might be able to figure out where your network is weak and where it isn't..

If all else fails buy airport express :)

OP
P

pcjabber

Aptmunich said:
No i meant the numbers on signal strengh etc that the program macstumbler tells you about wireless networks in your range.
But Padawan meant the Airport version numbers (Option-click on the Airport menulet)
aptmunich said:
For example: On my balcony i can tell that there are 3 encrypted wireless networks in my area, and that the signal strengh for network a is: 17 (weak), b is 29(also weakish) and c is 56 (my neighbour next door :))
Heh, using someone else's network, genius =)
aptmunich said:
Using macstumbler you might be able to figure out where your network is weak and where it isn't..

If all else fails buy airport express :)
Macstumbler is great! Airport express isnt available until mid-July, though...=(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.