• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video recording with built in iSight cam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I managed to record a video clip with the MBP's built in camera a while ago, but I can't remember how. However now I can't find the file. Does anyone know where video files created with iSight would be stored by default? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4ghz; 4gb ipod nano; dell axim x51
Should be under Movies under Mac hd. To record though open iMovie HD and drag the slider in between the symbol of a camcorder and scissors to the left. That moves you into record mode instead of editing mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
how long can you record doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
As long as you don't run out of harddrive space...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
I'd like to record to iMovie for youtube upload.
I see iChat is an on sale item. Don't like that much.
As my camera (Macbook) will work for Skype is there any way to hook up the built-in camera without spending money?

thanx John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
iChat should have came with your Mac shouldn't it?

oh and you can access your most recent pictures or videos from Photo Booth. It should be under the Applications folder in Finder. Photo Booth is the app that runs your iSight camera. Through Photo Booth, you can add an effect, multi shoot, or take video. After you take a picture, you can add it as your iChat Icon, or your Account Icon.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I managed to record a video clip with the MBP's built in camera a while ago, but I can't remember how. However now I can't find the file. Does anyone know where video files created with iSight would be stored by default? Thanks!

Open iMovie or Photo Booth. I think those are the likely built in apps you would have used. You might find it that way.

If you running 10.4 or 10.5 than search for .mov using Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
how long can you record doing this?

It could depend on the software as in the past limits would be 2GB. But I think iMovie was upgraded a version or two back to go beyond that limit, which would be available drive space as Aptmunich said.

Using iStopmotion I recorded many many hours, but it was 1 frame a second. I ran out of hard drive space a couple of times. The result is my fast drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
Hello

I'm the guy who's trying to use his built in camera to record for YouTube.

I have opened PhotoBooth but see no controls for video. I'm on PhotoBooth 1.2
Did a later version upgrae capabilities?

thanx John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
Well I already found out I need OSX 10.5 for video in PhotoBooth

I have a 2yo Macbook with !GB RAM.
Would there be any disadvantage to downloading and running OSX 10.5?
Is it enough RAM?

thanx v much
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Is it enough RAM?

thanx v much
John
It is enough ram...

I would not install leopard just for recording videos in Photo booth...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMovie can also record from the built in iSight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

Is it enough RAM?

thanx v much
John

like previously said, i wouldnt install leopard just so you can record video in photo booth. Instead, i recommend buying Quicktime Pro from apple, you can then record video from your iSight camera in quicktime player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3
i recommend buying Quicktime Pro from apple, you can then record video from your iSight camera in quicktime player.

Thanx Luke

I last night got to the early practise stages of simply compiling and editing in iMovie, using the iSight built-in camera. I presume I can upload to UTube.
Why would you use Quicktime Pro instead?

thanx to all John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
Thanx Luke

I last night got to the early practise stages of simply compiling and editing in iMovie, using the iSight built-in camera. I presume I can upload to UTube.
Why would you use Quicktime Pro instead?

thanx to all John

Personally im not always going to be uploading my recorded videos elsewhere, or editing them... i use it a lot when im just mucking about with friends, and for the i find quicktime much easier, as its less of a strain that iMovie on the computer and just a much simpler process for recording videos and saving them out as whatever you like.

Also, with quicktime pro you get all the added bonus' that you dont get with standard quicktime, such as being able to crop videos there and then (which is a form of editing i guess), and being able to save videos that you may have played on the internet via a quicktime window.

Also, once you've recorded a movie in quicktime pro, with one click you can export it straight out into iMovie, if you later decide you want to use it in a home creation.
Anyway, bit of a ramble there, sorry about that. Hope its helpful.
Regards,
Luke

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.