Torn

Reaction score
I have only recently decided to try a Mac after many years of using Windows based PC’s but I have a dilemma, I want the specs of the Macbook Pro but want the housing of the Black mackbook, is this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In short, no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
anything is possible if you use a can of spraypaint

OP
S
Reaction score
Well that sucks, is there anything out there Mac or PC that has the looks of the Black Macbook but something similar in spec to the Mackbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
But if you found a black laptop PC, you wouldn't have a Mac! With a MacBook Pro, you can have a PC and a Mac.

Have you seen them in the flesh though? They still look funky in aluminium.

OP
S
Reaction score
But if you found a black laptop PC, you wouldn't have a Mac! With a MacBook Pro, you can have a PC and a Mac.

Yeah I know :(

I would get the Macbook Pro but I can’t bring myself to buy it in that hideous aluminium housing

Reaction score
Well that sucks, is there anything out there Mac or PC that has the looks of the Black Macbook but something similar in spec to the Mackbook Pro?

Why don't you tell us what you need your computer for, that way, we can tell if you really need the specs of the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Yeah I know :(

I would get the Macbook Pro but I can’t bring myself to buy it in that hideous aluminium housing

that is such an insult to me ;D, i do think the aluminum looks amazing though.

on topic, depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could get a black MBP from colorware

OP
S
Reaction score
Well where to start:

I need it primarily for Photo editing and would also require the abilities to do web browsing (must be wireless connectible), word processing, weekly/calendar planner, some minor gaming (mainly FPS like FEAR or CS:S and some real time strategy too, would like to try C&C-3 and SC2 in the future), Music, usable as a DVD player on long journeys, Needs to be portable because I need to be able to take it every where with me

I’m sure there’s something I’ve missed but that’s about it :)

OP
S
Reaction score
that is such an insult to me ;D, i do think the aluminum looks amazing though.

on topic, depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could get a black MBP from colorware

I guess the housing is personal preference - i don't know why but i just hate the aluminium case with a passion!

I live in the UK so to pay the extra to have the colour changed, and then to ship it here and then pay the import duties would take it way way way out of my price range :(

I have about £1000 to spend, which unfortunately isn’t very much when it comes to buying a decent laptop these days :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well where to start:

I need it primarily for Photo editing and would also require the abilities to do web browsing (must be wireless connectible), word processing, weekly/calendar planner, some minor gaming (mainly FPS like FEAR or CS:S and some real time strategy too, would like to try C&C-3 and SC2 in the future), Music, usable as a DVD player on long journeys, Needs to be portable because I need to be able to take it every where with me

I’m sure there’s something I’ve missed but that’s about it :)

Then you pretty much just need to get a black Macbook. The specs are pretty darn close to the MBP, other than the graphics card for gaming, the screen size, and some of the little things like illumintated keyboard or firewire 800.

Everything else comes in the Macbook package, and it'll do everything you mentioned other than the games.

OP
S
Reaction score
Then you pretty much just need to get a black Macbook. The specs are pretty darn close to the MBP, other than the graphics card for gaming, the screen size, and some of the little things like illumintated keyboard or firewire 800.

Everything else comes in the Macbook package, and it'll do everything you mentioned other than the games.

So if i can manage to put the gaming aside then the Black Macbook with an additional 1GB stick of RAM (bringing it up to 2GM of RAM) should be fine? Is the Macbook ok to use programs like Photo Shop CS3 - Extended edition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yep, a Macbook is more than enough to do all that. I have a Macbook and use it with Photoshop CS3 all the time.

OP
S
Reaction score
So say i do decide to go with the Black Macbook with additional RAM, is now the time to buy? because I've bought things in the past to have an upgrade come up only a few weeks/months later making me wish i had waited.

Also on a side note my brother is a university student, will he be able to get me any discount or will all the paperwork and warranty for the Macbook end up in his name, because although he would have no problem ordering me one, i doubt he would want to have to sort things out if anything went wrong.

Reaction score
So say i do decide to go with the Black Macbook with additional RAM, is now the time to buy? because I've bought things in the past to have an upgrade come up only a few weeks/months later making me wish i had waited.

Also on a side note my brother is a university student, will he be able to get me any discount or will all the paperwork and warranty for the Macbook end up in his name, because although he would have no problem ordering me one, i doubt he would want to have to sort things out if anything went wrong.

No, the MacBooks were recently upgraded. Buy now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You will always be waiting if you're afraid of a future upgrade. No one can tell you for certain when they'll be. They could be tomorrow or they could be a year from now. If it does what you need, buy it now. :)

Technically, legally he can only purchase a computer for himself. Unless you meet the criteria outlined in the agreement for an academic discount, you can't take advantage of it.

OP
S
Reaction score
No, the MacBooks were recently upgraded. Buy now.

Thanks for that :)

Just out of curiosity when was the last update and when is the next expected - also does the HE Discount (one on apple-UK website) apply to university students because my brother isn't back at university until September 29th meaning i wouldn't be able to get any discount until then or is it not worth the wait for the discount?

OP
S
Reaction score
Technically, legally he can only purchase a computer for himself. Unless you meet the criteria outlined in the agreement for an academic discount, you can't take advantage of it.

Oh i didn't know that - please ignore my post above :)

Does apple offer discounts for Mr. Average?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh i didn't know that - please ignore my post above :)

Does apple offer discounts for Mr. Average?

Unless you see one on their site, no.

JRV

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone mention this but buying a computer based on looks probably isn't the best way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.