MBP Lid warpage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
First of all, i apologise if i am whining or being too picky in this.

I just got my first mac, a macbook pro 15" (the second one). Ive had it for a few days now and i totally love it. But then, today as I take another close look at its beauty, I notice something *awful*. The top half of the notebook, the screen/lid, is verry slightly yet also clearly visibly bent upwards compared to the bottom, and also shifted to the right. Well, when I take a second better look its noh that awful as i made it sound, were talking about 1mm max. I google it and i find countless posts of people with this problem, phew, at least its not my fault i think.

This is what it looks like (borrowed from notquiteleet:

Though this is no disaster at all of course, its only after 2 or 3 days of normal use in normal room temperatures! During those days I could not have been more cautious with my new buddy. I dont know if it was there when I unpacked it, but of course i did admire its beauty at that point so then I must have noticed it if it was already there. So that makes me fear that it could get worse over time, and now im scared of using my macbook for too long or for intensive tasks.

Because I read so many complaints about it, what is your view on this? Should I get a replacement if it gets worse? Am I really overreacting that much? I mean, after all, the design is one of the big reasons to buy any mac, and its also what makes tehm so expensive. If i hadnt cared about how my laptop looked, I wouldnt have paid for a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
hey mate i just bought my 15" macbook pro before a week and i think u should go and ask for replacement. Mine is not like that (phew) and if i were u i would definitely go and ask for replace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
this is weird. mine is doing the same thing and i was just about to post the same thing you did. i got mine in the beginning of june so i hope they can do something. im going to go to the local apple store to see if they could do anything when i have a chance within the week. ill let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Hi,

mine is exactly the same. Bought mine about 2 months back. Did'nt buy from apple store tho bought from Dixons (uk). Does'nt really bother me that much. Always thought it was a problem with all 15" MBP, but if not a will try to get replaced. Would I take it back to the store I bought from or contact apple direct?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
Same problem with mine, works fine though so no complaining :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
mine is higher on the right than on the left. So high that the little bumper isn't even close to touching the lower half. If that was the worst thing to happen to my macbook I probably wouldn't care all that much. Didn't even really notice it until I read your thread actually.

Reaction score
mines exactly the same except i got mine on the left hand side, and not the right

T

todd51

Same with mine when I got it, it freaked me out a bit also, but you'll get used to it, it shouldn't harm it any.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Yeah I uess its not that bad and the fact that many others have the same thing is sort of relieving, I wouldnt want to lose my newly set up mac and according to some stories macbooks can come back worse from repair than they were before. Ive read there were people with even 4-5mm of warpage though, that would really be unacceptable imho...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.