What can you NOT do on your Mac?

Reaction score
(Pssst... this question is only for the "switchers" -- the Windows or ex-Windows users... thanks. :))

Now that you have switched, what have you come across that you can not do on your Mac? For example:

Software that doesn't have a Mac equivalent?...

Hardware that didn't work?...

Etc... etc...

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Get a virus.

OH HOW I MISS THAT FEATURE.

Reaction score
Get a virus.

OH HOW I MISS THAT FEATURE.

Me too, man, me too.
I get teary eyed when I remember those 2 consecutive months of getting notifications from McAfee Virus Scan every 30 seconds telling me that it had found a trojan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Me too, man, me too.
I get teary eyed when I remember those 2 consecutive months of getting notifications from McAfee Virus Scan every 30 seconds telling me that it had found a trojan.

I wonder when Macs will incorporate that feature. Soon I hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Haha, the only thing I can't do is play an old game called "Balloon Challenge." There may be other things I can't do, but if there are I don't miss them!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Play Halo 2 or Far Cry.

Reaction score
Run a good money/finance managing software! If I didn't need Windows to run MS Money, I'd be entirely Windows free at home.

Reaction score
Run a good money/finance managing software! If I didn't need Windows to run MS Money, I'd be entirely Windows free at home.

Curse my bad memory, I found a really good money managing software...but I can't remember what it was called!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I loved this program called POPeeper. It's a lightweight email program that runs in the system tray and automatically checks your email at intervals you set. The big thing is that it will check just about any type of Web mail account you can think of - and it's updated frequently.

I've been using MacFreePOPs which acts as an intermediary, automatically grabbing email from web mail accounts and allowing it to be delivered into a Mail.app folder of your choosing. So, effectively it does the same thing, although it's a lot more of a hog than POPeeper.

Aside from that? I can't do seem edits on my cell phone (unless I run Windows). I liked the ipconfig and net use/view/print/user commands in Windows. I also miss the port redirection flexibility with networked printers.

None of these are insurmountable, but it does go to show that Windows has its strengths too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
use my cd/dvd drive tray as a cup holder hehehehehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Delorme makes this mapping software that I used to use with my GPS receiver, but between Google earth and the fact that my GPS is equipped with maps kind of makes it moot. My Macbook doesn't have a serial port anyway, so it wouldn't work no matter what, and it's not like I really used the GPS/notebook combo when I had the capability. Google Earth is better anyway, in that it gives me a more realistic view of where I might be trying to go. That works great on my Macbook.

There were a few hiccups getting my Palm to sync correctly, but I've pretty much worked that out, and my iCal and Address book are populated sufficiently enough. The portability of my notebook negates some of the PDA's usefulness somewhat.

It doesn't talk to my iPaq at all, but that's a function of Microsoft locking Pocket PCs to Windows only, it was free, and it's a crappy PDA anyway. Heck, Outlook 2007 broke communication between my iPaq and my windows PC as well, so I can't fault Apple.

Other than that, I can't think of anything I can't do with my Mac that I can do on a PC. Oh, there's some corporate apps that only run on Windows/supported by my IT crew, but they have provided a Dell for that stuff, and I've pretty much made it all work on my Parallels VM for when I don't want to lug two laptops around. That's mostly an 'in a pinch' kind of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Run CAD software natively in OS X

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
CAD software in general or Auto Cad?

Solid Edge/AutoCAD/PRO E etc. ;)

I know there is CAD software for Mac, but not the major stuff. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
(Pssst... this question is only for the "switchers" -- the Windows or ex-Windows users... thanks. :))

Now that you have switched, what have you come across that you can not do on your Mac? For example:

Software that doesn't have a Mac equivalent?...

Hardware that didn't work?...

Etc... etc...

Thanks! :)

Depends if you include running windows on the Mac... because if you do that, everything is possible.

Assuming you actually mean OS X, my two big things are

Windows Media 10 or 11. Some sites need it to run their video, UK's Channel 4 news is one I have to switch to Parallels for.

MS Money. There is no Mac version and no equivalent app. Don't say Mac Quicken...:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.