How do you move a file back one folder level?

Reaction score
This is one thing that isn't obvious to me. In Windows, you can just pick a file, cut it, move up one folder level, then paste. In Mac, you can't do that. I can't find any way to just drag a file up one level.

How do I do this?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I just click and drag with the mouse - works for me (providing finder is in list view/mode)!

OP
C
Reaction score
Right.. I guess that would work. But in icon view, it's not possible, right? I hope that's resolved in Leopard..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Why would it not be possible in Icon View?

Just drag the Icon over the folder (Home, Apps, HD, etc) and drop it it what ever folder you'd like.

I use quicksilver for this...

I type the folder name (just the first few letters) I want to move, then click Tab, then M (brings up "Move To") then typer the folder I want it in (again just the first few letters of the folder name) then Enter.

Using Quicksilver, no matter what Im doing or what App I'm in, I can move any file anywhere in just a few keystrokes. :D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Why would it not be possible in Icon View?

Just drag the Icon over the folder (Home, Apps, HD, etc) and drop it it what ever folder you'd like.

I use quicksilver for this...

I type the folder name (just the first few letters) I want to move, then click Tab, then M (brings up "Move To") then typer the folder I want it in (again just the first few letters of the folder name) then Enter.

Using Quicksilver, no matter what Im doing or what App I'm in, I can move any file anywhere in just a few keystrokes. :D:D:D

I do this a lot in Quicksilver as well. The designers of that programs should get a Nobel Prize for making the most useful piece of software ever!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
[edited: made a mistake about the shortcuts]

You might know about these Finder keyboard shortcuts:

Command O = open folder
Command Shift O = go folder in a new window
Command Up = go to the enclosing folder (a.k.a. go "up" a level)

Together, you could do this:

Command Up to go to the enclosing folder.
When you do this, the Finder will have the folder that you just "came out of" selected.
As such, you can immediately press Command Shift O to open the folder in a new window.

Now you have both folders open.

Alternative method:

Go to the enclosing folder, put it in List View, and click on the arrow on the left of the folder icon to open the sub-folder.
Then, you can drag the file(s) from the sub-folder to the folder;
drop the file over the "Arrange By" bar (Name, Date Modified, Size, Kind) on the top to drop it in the current folder.

Yet another method:

mac_finder_cut_paste_1.png

mac_finder_cut_paste_2.png

;p

Added it with something called OnMyCommand and OMCEdit. Google it.

There are other ways to add Cut to the Finder as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.