Need help setting up Alias and a few other things

Reaction score
Hey All,

In a separate forum (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299&highlight=itunes+library+file+alias), trpnmonkey41 gives instructions how to configure a Mac so its iTunes can read music files off of a PC. I'm wondering if anyone can help me, a relative newcomer to OS X, figure out a few things.

Let me start out by saying I've already managed to set up file sharing between the two computers. But there's got to be a better way to do it than the way I'm going about it now. The way I do it, each time I turn on my MBP, I have to Finder > Network >Workgroup name > PC name and then choose the shared volume I want. Is there a way to automate this process?

Second, the instructions say "Create an Alias of the iTunes Library file and iTunes Music Library.xml file. Can someone please explain how one creates and alias? I simply copied those two files from my PC and pasted them into the iTunes folder on my Mac and the system mostly works okay.

Are there additional benefits that I'd get from actually creating an alias of these two files?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.