• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Fer Yall Guitar People - Harmonic Tuning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A post I put up on vwvortex.com in response to some one asking about tuning:

Me said:
E - A - D - G are tuned via 5th fret and 7th fret harmonics.
Place your index finger on the E string just touching the string right above the 5th fret but not pressing down on it. Place your ring finger on the 7th fret of the A string doing the same, just lightly touching it but not exerting pressure. Hit the E and A strings with a pick and you should get a higher picthed tone, the two similar to the two notes from Jeremy by pearl jam...you'll know what I mean if you do it right.

The two notes are the same. If they're in tune, and you have any type of ear at all, they'll be spot on. Anything off at all will make the notes modulate. Adjust the out of tune string until you have one steady note with no modulation, or as close as you can get. Repeat this for the top 4 strings, E - A - D - G

for B you hit the harmonic on the E string 7th fret and just pick an open B

For high E you hit the harmonic on the A string 7th fret and just pick an open high E

Anyone use this technique?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I use it all the time. I rarely use a tuner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Since I learned this technique I have never used anything else. I have an A tuning fork. I use that to set a reference (I'm not pitch perfect!), then use the harmonics to tune from there. Even the slightest frequency dissonance can be picked up by ear. It's great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
my dad taught me that in high school and i haven't used a tuner in 12 years. when you play around with it and get an ear for that dissonance, it's so easy!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I've used that method a few times but mostly I just know the pitch for the low e and use the 5th fret method from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
I've used that method a few times but mostly I just know the pitch for the low e and use the 5th fret method from there.

Exactly what I do :)

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.