• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Few Adobe After Effects questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
I've been editing with iMovie for awhile and I'm ok with Final Cut Pro, but I just got Adobe After Effects to start experimenting with more effects and things. I just had a few random questions with it, sense I'm quite new with it.

First, where is a good place to find tutorials on AE?

Second, is when I import a .Mov file onto the timeline, I don't get any sound. Is it because its only a preview? Also I can't figure out how to advance one frame, like in iMovie and Final Cut it's the arrow keys. How do I do that in AE?

Also, how to I split the clip on the timeline? I couldn't find the tool for that.

And lastly, is it better to edit in AE? or should I edit in Final Cut or iMovie first and just use AE for effects?

Thanks a lot guys!

Reaction score
AfterEffects is for visuals. You can add a soundtrack to it (separate from the MOV), but it's not designed for sound editing or anything. Generally we tweak the visuals in AE and then bring it into FCP and layer in the sound. I prefer to edit in FCP, that's *what* it is there for and it does it better than AE. I know some people who became so used to AE they prefer to edit there, but they are going out of their way to do extra work just to avoid and afternoon of learning FCP.

Split Layer cuts the clip.

Advance one frame with Page Down

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
AfterEffects is for visuals. You can add a soundtrack to it (separate from the MOV), but it's not designed for sound editing or anything. Generally we tweak the visuals in AE and then bring it into FCP and layer in the sound. I prefer to edit in FCP, that's *what* it is there for and it does it better than AE. I know some people who became so used to AE they prefer to edit there, but they are going out of their way to do extra work just to avoid and afternoon of learning FCP.

Split Layer cuts the clip.

Advance one frame with Page Down

Ah. Thanks a lot man. How should I get it from FCP to AE?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.