About shutting MBP...

Reaction score
Every time I shut my MBP it goes to sleep! I've been looking for settings all over to change this but I can't seem to find anything =/
I would like for the screen to be there when I re-open... you know, keep the computer running if I randomly need to close it up for a minute.

Also, is there any way to turn off the screen while downloading or something?! If I'm doing a long download, when I close the screen, it will stop... so I've been putting the brightness down as low as possible, but it's still not OFF.
I also use an external monitor, mirrored, and would like to be able to turn off my MBP screen for this purpose!

Both of these two things are irking me, any help would be awesome.
Thanks.

T

todd51

There are other applications available via Google (InsomniaX) that allow your computer to stay active with the lid closed. However, be warned that these may cause your computer to overheat and fry itself! I would not suggest it myself.

To turn the screen off, just turn down the screen brightness (F1) all the way down. You may also go to to your System Preferences>Energy Saver to change it so that it shuts down the display after a couple of minutes.

Or you could always activate Expose and use one of the corners to automatically turn your screen saver on. :)

Hope these suggestions helped!

OP
P
Reaction score
Guh, I don't need frying! That's just not cool... Lol sorry for the pun.

And the F1 turns the backlight off, not the screen off. You can still see the screen, I want it OFF if at all possible =/

Thanks, though.

T

todd51

And the F1 turns the backlight off, not the screen off. You can still see the screen, I want it OFF if at all possible =/

Ok, I wasn't for sure if it actually shut the display off or not. The only suggestion I have for you then is using Energy Saver to shut the screen off after 1 minute of inactivity.

Reaction score
Guh, I don't need frying! That's just not cool... Lol sorry for the pun.

Thanks, though.

I'm assuming you're trying to hide your chat conversations or web browser when someone comes into your area? I do the same thing, except with my PC I simply press the power button on my monitor.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're trying to hide your chat conversations or web browser when someone comes into your area? I do the same thing, except with my PC I simply press the power button on my monitor.

Lol no, I have ShadowBook to do that if I need to... which is amazing and MUCH less suspicious!
But I'm just really, really obsessive compulsive. It bugs me the whole time I'm using my external monitor that my laptop screen is still sort of on =/
HAhaha I'm nuts, but it's so easy with my PC, I figured there was a way to do it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.