• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVR to macbook to DVD?

Reaction score
I have the Time warner HD cable box (Explorer 8300HD) it has a Sata connection on the back and an USB connection on the front. Does anyone know how to get the movies off my DVR to my mac. I was thinking if a Sata to USB would work? I found one at http://www.sataadapter.com/sata-adapter-page.html. Does anyone know if this will work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The sata connection on the back is to add an external hard drive for storage when your internal drive is full I believe.

If your firewire port is unlocked (You can test is this way)
1.) Hold down the SELECT button on the front of the STB until the MESSEGE LIGHT either flashes or lights up.
2.) Press the INFO button either on your remote control or on the front of the STB.
3.) Press either the page up or page down buttons on the remote until you scroll to the page named COPY PROTECTION.
4.) You will see a list of outputs, such as DVI/HDMI,
YPrPb, 1394, and composite.
5.) You will see what kind of protection is used, if any. weither they are enabled, or constrained.

If your box is unlocked then you can transfer the files through firewire

OP
A
Reaction score
DVI/HDMI is enabled and not constrained. The others have no protection at all. So if i got a male USB to female firewire can I plug directly into the box to my mac, as the 8300HD doesnt have firewire.

edit...sorry i do have firewire on the back of the 8300HD...so after i plug directly in....should a promt come up directly on my mac letting me transfer the files? How does the transfer work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would need to use a program like http://www.ammesset.com/irecord/ to set a timer and record the stream in real time. So basically if the show you want to transfer is 60 minutes, you set it to run for 60 minutes and press play on your episode.

OP
A
Reaction score
I downloaded irecord and let it record for almost 2 hours but when I looked to see what kind of format it was in it I noticed that it said zero KB. How could this be? Im I dont something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you confirm that your device was detected bye opening the iRecord preferences window and select the Devices toolbar item

OP
A
Reaction score
Am I not using the irecord software right? I click file new event put what channel and what time I want it to start make sure that the device on it is the 8300HD and click ok. It starts at the time I set it and it shows that it is recording but when Its done I go into my movie folder and it is in .m2t format I look at the info on the file and it says zero KB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your best bet is to ask on the iRecord forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.