USB or FireWire IO Device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
I want to get a IO box to put my guitar through, and eventually microphone (so it will need phantom power and mic pre amps) into my powerbook. I will only be using one microphone.

With only one microphone, will there be a significant difference between FireWire and USB ? Can USB mixers / IO devices be powered through the USB port like they can on a FireWire port ?

Thanks is you can help !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Some USB sound cards can be powered through the USB port but it's probably worth checking with the specific model before you buy. I believe FireWire is faster than USB but i doubt that would make much difference. It depends on the quality of the components in the mixer/soundcard - the quality of the pre amps etc. Also, it won't use up one of your USB ports and i personally use my USB ports far more than FireWire. Your budget would also be a consideration as FireWire devices tend to be more expensive than their USB counterparts. check this articel i found it quite useful

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
With audio equipment, most people (at least on the Audio / DJ forums I am on) will tell you to use Firewire. I personally use a MOTU Ultralite, but that is way overkill for what you want to do. If you want something that is relatively cheap, but stil works well, chech out M-Audio, they have a huge line of audio equipment.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
yeah Ive had a look at M Audio - Theyre firewire solo model doesnt come wth a preamp, only the fire duo and above models have that. For firewire devices I was thinking of Mackie Onyx Satellite or Tapco Link.firewire, as for USB some sort of mixer, as theyre still cheaper than the firewire lol.

Im currently runnign a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 - will that be able to cope with a good external soundcard with sound coming in and out while gaming etc ? Sounds like the firewire has a processor on board so that it can take some of the sound processing instead of the main processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.