Connect to TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Need a little help connecting my macbook to my tv. I'm thinking of down-loading movies and playing them on my tv via my macbook. The problem here is I've misplaced my macbook manual. I was thinking I could connect using the firewire port (480 I think). My tv will accept a computer via a Cat-5 port I think...

Reaction score
You'll either need to use a VGA or composite connector. Apple sells adapters for both from the Macbook's Mini-DVI port to the appropriate connector for your TV.

Firewire and Ethernet are used for transferring data, not video signals.

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks... I clicked on your composite link there and the mini-dvi to video adapter looks good...

Reaction score
I just bought the video adapter a couple weeks ago, just to watch movies and stuff on my TV... I just have a plain 27" tube TV, but video looks great on it. It looks just like you are watching a DVD. FYI you need to buy a separate audio adapter though; either hook the MB up to external speakers, or buy a headphone->composite audio adapter at Radio Shack.

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply visualpurple... Now that you’re saying that I bet I want get Dolby Digital 5.1... If not I'm not... Well... Might not be worth the effort... That sound makes a big difference...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Thanks for the reply visualpurple... Now that you’re saying that I bet I want get Dolby Digital 5.1... If not I'm not... Well... Might not be worth the effort... That sound makes a big difference...

My understanding is that the audio out of the Macbook does optical 5.1 Dolby Digital through the line-out, and if you get an adapter that goes from the 1/8" jack to optical-in to a 5.1 receiver, you should be able to also get 5.1 Surround. I don't have such a device that has optical in with which to test, but that is my understanding of what the sound output options you may have.

As an aside, I just assisted my brother in law who has a Macbook and just got Apple TV. He was having problems getting it hooked up to his wireless network, so we got on a video chat with iChat AV and I was able to walk him through getting the MAC address filtering set up for his router to get his ATV to connect. Something that would have been cumbersome just over the phone. Kind of all, 'Jetsons' like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
would the composite device be suitable for outputting video from final cut studio to a TV / monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
yes vaughan80

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.