I want to convert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I've been a windows user my whole life, though i never once thought it was superior to mac. In fact, I've always known mac was far superior. It was always my dream to "one day" own a mac, but as a student with little to no income money was an issue (My current laptop cost me $400). Now I have a need for a high end laptop and once im spending the money I am finally realising my dream of owning a mac but I have one issue. I'm looking into the low end macbook pro but with a new OS coming in October is it worth it to buy one now? What are the odds that they will update the macbook pro with the OS release? Still even if there is an update it will be hard to wait... I cant wait to make the switch to mac!

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Thanks. Grr... its a such a tough call, i really want one now but have no way of knowing if just shortly after i get it a better version will come out... :-(

Reaction score
Tiger is a wicked OS and if you need a new notebook now, get it. Leopard will only cost you an extra 129 USD. Sounds pretty afforable and like a great deal to me...

If you don't need it now, wait. I actually think it's pretty easy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Definitely search and you'll find plenty of info to work with. Most of them saying... why wait? If you need it, now is a great time to buy one!

In the past Apple notebooks have been updated on average every 6 months or so. The odds of them being updated when Leopard comes out near the end of November is pretty high. No ones knows for sure though...

Does that make it worth waiting? Probably not. It's a long way to go but I don't think there will be to many upgrades in store for those new models. I do think the current models offer a better value than ever, especially the lower MBP, which I have and love! Leopard is not going to be a huge change either. Sure, a few new things here and there, but trust me when i tell you the jump from Windows to Tiger will be hugeeeee as it is. Also, no OS release is ever perfect, whether it's Microsoft or Apple. Tiger has been run through the tracks and is a proven, stable OS. I would rather see how Leopard performs and wait a little after its release, all for the low upgrade price of around $130.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i switched 6 months before Tiger came out and 2 months before the iBooks got their final update. i still run Panther on my iBook and i love it. i have Tiger on the iMac and i love it too. no matter which one you get you will still like it. if the hardware gets updated then you will still love the one you have. if you ask me the only thing that gets updated is the CPU or HDD. if they do update anything else you could probably live with out it until you could get a new mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Most likely updates will probably be:

slightly faster ghz
larger hard drive
Leopard
LED screens

...a total redesign that'll make u regret ur purchase now? not likely.

Live for the day, buy a mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Display’s the thing
A great video processor powers a great display. The new MacBook Pro is available in 15-inch models with a new mercury-free, power-efficient LED-backlit display and a 17-inch model with an optional 1920-by-1200 pixel display.

...i took this as, only the 15" MBPs have LED screens... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Correct. He's looking at the 15" MBP. That's why I was wondering why you said that's going to be an update... they've already got 'em.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Oh, yeah. I wasn't too clear. I meant the list I wrote would be the most likely updates we'd see this year. Meaning affecting all MBPs. I should have left that one off the list LOL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.