Using Audacity on a MacBook

Reaction score
I bought a MacBook a few weeks mainly for my DJing, be it recording sets or down the line getting Ableton version 6 for it.

Now ive downloaded Audacity so that i can record my sets at home. However, the sound quality is dreadful. It seems to be recording through a microphone rather than through the lead that i plugged into the Mac from my mixer.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong and what i should be doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
System Preferences > sound > input

then just click on line in and choose input volume so that there isnt any clipping.

Why are you using audacity rather than garageband ?

OP
G
Reaction score
System Preferences > sound > input

then just click on line in and choose input volume so that there isnt any clipping.

Why are you using audacity rather than garageband ?

Ive asked loads of mates who are also DJs what they use and none of them use Garageband.

Do you think its better than Audacity?

You'll have to forgive for being clueless but i really am when it comes to Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4/PowerMac G4/2nd Gen Ipod Nano
They're very different. I use Audacity, GarageBand, and Logic Express 7 for most of my projects.

Audacity is good for simple editing and mixing.

Garageband is great for laying down rhythm and maybe a few other instruments.

Logic can do both however, it's expensive and the interface is terrifying until you get used to it.

I'd try to use both GB and Audacity together. If you're a serious musician for $300 logic is incredible and will have everything you need.

OP
G
Reaction score
I was planning on using Audacity to record mixes and Appleton for DJing and Production further down the line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.