• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie to DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac - 1GHz G4 - 768MB RAM - 200GB - DVDRW
Hello all,

I have imported about 70 minutes of 16:9 video from my Sony MiniDV video camera to iMovieHD. It is all edited now with titles, music, and transitions, but i'd like to export it to a DVD or two or three, however long it takes. I can also do the dual layer burning as well if I get the right disc type.

But my question is, how do I export it to a reasonable size? Right now, it is about 16GB! I would really like to export this to a DVD so I can watch it on a DVD player without having to use 4 DVD's.

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I think a program called Popcorn is what you need.....not having to have done this myself as yet.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Popcorn, Toast, DVD Studio and iDVD with reduce the movie down to a size that will fit on a DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.