• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Camcorder purchase advice

Reaction score
I just made the switch to Mac and am interested in getting a camcorder (my wife and I are expecting our first child). The problem is, I have no experience with video camcorders or editing. I want to be able to take indoor/outdoor video of decent quality and be able to do basic editing. I'm looking to spend $400-600.

First, is there a particular format that works better with a Mac (miniDV, DVD, HDD, etc)?

Second, are there any particular camcorders you would recommend?

I know these questions are pretty broad, but I'm having difficulty getting any answers (folks at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc were clueless).

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
I'll direct you to a thread on a similar topic. I recommended the Canon Elura 100 to the thread starter and I think it will suit your needs as well. Good luck with your camera purchase. Its a miniDV camera so it would work for you. Some people have been complaining about HDD cameras not working with iMovie. And since you wanted to do some basic editing DVD cameras wouldn't be ideal. DVD cameras record straight to a DVD and are really meant for non-editors.

Reaction score
I just bought a Canon ZR700. It seemed to have similar quality filming to the newer Canon camcorders, but I really wanted the analog-digital pass through capability. As killedbytheinterne mentioned, the Elura 100 is highly recommended and does have an external mic option, something that most of the other Canons don't have. The problem is that, at least in the US, it is only available "refurbished". I got cold feet over that, but if you still want, you can find them refurbished on Ebay for $300. It actually seems that there are very few options in between those that are a bit under $300 and those that cost close to $600. I suggest the MiniDV camcorders. For great info look at www.camcorderinfo.com. I am hoping to have the camcorder in hand by the end of the week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.