• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gar!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Argh! I'm so angry right now!

I was sitting at the kitchen table drinking a cup of coffee and checking out the forums and whatnot, then out of no-where, one of my mom's cats jumps on the table

BAM!

About a quarter of the cup of coffee spilled all over my iBook.. All over the keyboard..

I immediately shut it off and wiped it down. I let it dry for about 15 minutes or so, then turned it back on.

The speakers are crackly sounding, at least the left one is, the right appears fine for now. The keyboard doesn't work at all anymore. The machine in general boots up no problem and appears to still be working

I do have Apple Care on it, but I'm pretty sure they don't cover this kind of thing. (Or Acts of God either according to their Terms & Conditions).

But anyways, should I pick up a used keyboard off eBay and hope for the best? Or what can I do to minimize repair costs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Let it sit and dry for about 24 hours, then see what happens. Either way, turn it off now.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yeah, I've turned it on once, and that was when I found the keyboard didn't work.

I'm going to let it dry over night and hopefully it'll work. If not, new keyboard it is.

Speaking of which, is an iBook keyboard an iBook keyboard? Like, regardless if it's from a 12" or 14"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Let it sit and dry for about 24 hours, then see what happens. Either way, turn it off now.
i would let it sit for a week. i know it is a long time not to use your mac., but it would be best.

Reaction score
Ditto baggs! Wiping the coffee off of the surface didn't do anything about the coffee inside. Here is the test: spill some coffee on the table. When it has completely dried turn your 'Book back on.
Actually, you might want to open the keyboard up. It is easy enough.
ifixit.com has all the directions you need.
Good luck!

Reaction score
yeah, let it dry out for long enough and it should be fine. i spilled some beer on a keyboard for my pc a long time ago. it stopped working so I gave it to my roommate and bought a new one. A few weeks later we were in his room looking at something and he was using my fully-functional keyboard.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Well, it's been a few hours. I'm on my iBook now using an external keyboard and everything is working fine, except the keyboard. So it looks like I'm going to have to replace it this weekend when I get paid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Maybe a good reason to pick up a sweet little Macbook! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Whew that's good to hear!!! I was worried it was a goner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
the only difference there is is between g3 and g4 keyboards. otherwise i think they are the same

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
the only difference there is is between g3 and g4 keyboards. otherwise i think they are the same

Actually, after looking around the Net, I found that keyboards for the 12" model have shorter ribbon cables, and won't work on the 14"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.