DV Camcorders?

M

markceltic

Seeing how this is a video/audio forum I was wondering who has had experience with either the Canons or the Sony line of products :confused: From what I've found so far both are very good brands but I can only afford one at a time :eek: My electronics guy says Sony has the longest track record for producing video cams,but just the other day I read a review of how the CanonZR interfaces seamlessly with the mac.So you see the problem I'm having in making up my mind. Thanks guys for any advice in advance!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I purchased a Canon Optura 20, because it handle low light levels better than the Sony.

OP
R

RobDreugan

Both are great brands. Personally, I'd go with a canon camera, like the XL-1 or GL-1, both are super cameras.

Panasonic makes some great ones too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
markceltic said:
Seeing how this is a video/audio forum I was wondering who has had experience with either the Canons or the Sony line of products :confused: From what I've found so far both are very good brands but I can only afford one at a time :eek: My electronics guy says Sony has the longest track record for producing video cams,but just the other day I read a review of how the CanonZR interfaces seamlessly with the mac.So you see the problem I'm having in making up my mind. Thanks guys for any advice in advance!

I just recently got a Sony DCR-HC30 DV camcorder and it is great. I havent had any problems with low light situations. It works great with my iBook by just plugging in the firewire cable (sold seperately, unfortuneately) and iMovie opens right up and I can import and then edit. I really like the Sony and would reccomend it to anyone. The size is great also, it fits perfectly into your hand and hardly weighs anything. The LCD is also very nice because it is a touch screen and that helps out alot. You can even do your own editing right on the camera via the touch screen.

Well that is just my two cents.

:)

OP
M

markceltic

Well guys I'm going with the CanonZR85.The price is a little better than the Sony HC30.Spending this kind of cash always makes me nervous, doesn't always take a month for me to make a decision on anything, usually ;)

OP
E

.emo.

RobDreugan said:
Both are great brands. Personally, I'd go with a canon camera, like the XL-1 or GL-1, both are super cameras.

Panasonic makes some great ones too.

.i second that on the GL1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
markceltic said:
Well guys I'm going with the CanonZR85.The price is a little better than the Sony HC30.Spending this kind of cash always makes me nervous, doesn't always take a month for me to make a decision on anything, usually ;)
Hey just out of curiousity how 's the Canon holding up??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.