Switching from PC to Mac and need advice

Reaction score
I've been wanting a mac forever but just can't afford to get what I want. I'm asking you mac gurus for some help. I'm so tired of my pc that I can no longer stand it. I think it would be best to buy a used mac system to fit my budget for now.
Here's what I used my computer for. I'm very much into photo and video editing. I also like music as well. Apple's Garage Band sounds very interesting.
Anyway, what used machines out there would be good for my needs and still be a good value? Is there any to avoid? You guys and gals are my first step.
I'd appreciate any feedback.

Herbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Um...Switcher forum, not anything goes.

And www.apple.com

go to the store and look at the refurbished products.

That and the classified sections here or on any large apple forums.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been wanting a mac forever but just can't afford to get what I want. I'm asking you mac gurus for some help. I'm so tired of my pc that I can no longer stand it. I think it would be best to buy a used mac system to fit my budget for now.
Here's what I used my computer for. I'm very much into photo and video editing. I also like music as well. Apple's Garage Band sounds very interesting.
Anyway, what used machines out there would be good for my needs and still be a good value? Is there any to avoid? You guys and gals are my first step.
I'd appreciate any feedback.

Herbie

It might help if you tell us what your budget is. This way we can help you get the most "bang for your buck".

OP
H
Reaction score
Well, ideally, I'd like to spend as little as possible. I'm not sure (used wise) what would be good to choose from so I'm not sure what they are going to cost me. How about $500 or less for a used system? Like I said, I'm totally new and you guys are my first stop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, ideally, I'd like to spend as little as possible. I'm not sure (used wise) what would be good to choose from so I'm not sure what they are going to cost me. How about $500 or less for a used system? Like I said, I'm totally new and you guys are my first stop.

Does it need to be portable - or would a desktop suffice? $500 will buy you a fairly decent Mac mini, but I'm not sure how well that would suit your needs.

OP
H
Reaction score
Desk top will be fine. I can spend more but wanted to leave room to purchase software. Just give me some advice on what would be a good used buy and I can go from there.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try a used iMac G4 (1Ghz or better), at least 512MB of RAM and a 40GB or better hard drive. You can upgrade the memory yourself fairly inexpensively and buy an external firewire hard drive for video editing chores. Keep in mind that this won't be a blazing fast system, but it should keep you around $500. Check out http://www.macofalltrades.com, they stock quite a few used, older systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Quick question with your photo and video editing needs herbie, how much and what kind of editing do you do? Cause if you're editing HD footage, you need a rig that costs way more than $500, unless your doing home movies and stuff like that.

Reaction score
Um...Switcher forum, not anything goes.

And www.apple.com

go to the store and look at the refurbished products.

That and the classified sections here or on any large apple forums.

Are you a complete numbnutts? His post has EVERYTHING to do with the Switcher Forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
Are you a complete numbnutts? His post has EVERYTHING to do with the Switcher Forum.
This thread was originally in the "Anything Goes" forum and was moved here. Its OK. Small misunderstanding.

OP
H
Reaction score
editing

Quick question with your photo and video editing needs herbie, how much and what kind of editing do you do? Cause if you're editing HD footage, you need a rig that costs way more than $500, unless your doing home movies and stuff like that.

Well, just home video for now. I'd love to one day make the HD jump but I'm just a starving artist for now.;D

Reaction score
Why would the vendor mention pixels when the thing has a CRT?

There's no mention of system-install disks. Without them, you're up the creek when something goes wrong with the software.

OS 10.1 is buggy and unstable, and fewer and fewer OS X apps will run under it. Last I heard, OS 9 sells for $3 on ebay.

Reaction score
It's a little high - and he's a little too vague about what versions of which software. I think you could do better from a company that sells refurbished, used Macs.

I don't know if its just me but that does NOT look like a 17-inch display!

OP
H
Reaction score
So you think I should buy from a reseller? Most don't seem to come with the OS discs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you think I should buy from a reseller? Most don't seem to come with the OS discs.

I can't imagine they would stay in business very long without including the discs. Double-check on that before you buy. But yes, I'd say a reseller has more incentive to keep their nose clean than an individual just trying to sell his/her old clunker.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey guys, how about this one? Could it be upgraded for what I need? No monitor or keyboard included.

G4 Mac running OSX 10.3.
30GB Hard drive, 128Mb Ram, DVD drive and ATI Rage 128 Pro video card.
$140.00 or best offer... take today and you can have it for $120.00

OP
H
Reaction score
Or this one.
PowerMac G4 800 MHz
Apple Power Mac G4
800MHz 256MB Ram Mac OSX 10.3.9
DVD/CDRW
40 GB INTERNAL DRIVE

Applications Include Adobe CS (Photoshop,Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Professional), GoLive, Microsoft Office.....etc

Keyboard & Mouse, Original User Guide/Cd's

Great Condition, great performance $400obo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.