Wrong Thumbnail

Reaction score
I have been searching the web to the answer to my question but have been unable to find it anywhere, so i thought i'd try here. I have a picture that has a thumbnail different than the actual picture. My question is, is there any way to revert the picture back to the way it looked in the thumbnail. I find the thumbnail more attractive and this is the only copy of the picture i have. There must be some record of the picture tied up in the file data somewhere in order for it to produce such a thumbnail... Is there anyway to retrieve that and create a whole new picture from it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I have been searching the web to the answer to my question but have been unable to find it anywhere, so i thought i'd try here. I have a picture that has a thumbnail different than the actual picture. My question is, is there any way to revert the picture back to the way it looked in the thumbnail. I find the thumbnail more attractive and this is the only copy of the picture i have. There must be some record of the picture tied up in the file data somewhere in order for it to produce such a thumbnail... Is there anyway to retrieve that and create a whole new picture from it?

It's the other way around, unfortunately (there is a record of the thumbnail tied up in the photo data somewhere).
Here's a good explaination (with a link to the infamous Cat Schwartz nude thumbnail incident)
http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/012372.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
So can i not create a new picture from that metadata?

Nope. The simplest definition of metadata is that it is data about data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well if you're talking about an image in iPhoto, you should be able to right click and select 'revert to original'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.