My iPhone Impressions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
After 2 solid days of use, I thought I'd share my impressions of my shiny new toy, the 8 GB iPhone.

Hardware:
Much sleeker and sexier than I was expecting. Even though I got in line at 2 PM to wait, part of me still wanted to play with the phone in the store before I slapped down $600. Entered the store at about 6:10, picked it up, and fell in love. The phone feels SOLID in your hands, like it is very well built from quality materials. The decision to use high quality glass instead of plastic was a good one, it's been in my pocket without issues. Also, the use of brushed metal backing instead of the traditional mirrored stainless iPod backing retards the normal fingerprints, and keeps the iPhone looking quite classy. I will note that after streaking your fingers on the screen for a while, it does get a little fingerprint-y. These are easily wiped off with the included cloth, or a shirt sleeve if necessary.

Software:
My favorite part. I don't even know where to begin, honestly. The phone is snappy, and it looks beautiful at the same time. Transition effects from app to app are amazing, and I've yet to encounter any device slow-down or frozen apps yet (there is a force-quit function just in case). The keyboard is much easier getting used to than the professional reviewers are letting on...it really does just take some "faith" in the iPhone's built-in text prediction. Most all text fields on the iPhone inherit the auto-correction (which is invoked simply by pressing the space bar after a word), but there are some fields where you'll need to correct yourself (most e-mail addresses, passwords, etc). Also, if your iPhone has the option for the keyboard click sounds turned on, I've noticed a small amount of slow down with letter recognition. I've since turned off those sounds, and the keyboard is as snappy as the rest of the phone. As far as the applications are concerned, each and every one of them does its job, and does it extremely well. I can't truly understand the purpose behind putting on an app like Stocks before adding in something like MMS or iChat, but it still looks gorgeous. All of the apps use the same gestures for on-screen actions except for a double-fingered single-tap to zoom out in the Maps application, so the continuity is there.

Overall impressions:
Mac fanboy I can be branded, but I will be honest: the professional reviews had me worried about my decision to wait in line for this phone on launch day. Consider these apprehensions completely erradicated. I don't regret my decision to buy one so early on at all, and I look forward to seeing what kind of software updates Apple throws our way, this machine has SO much potential!

As I play with the phone some more, I will either edit this post, or add on some replies if there are specific questions.

P.S. Multiple browser windows is AMAZING. A first for a mobile phone (without add-on software, I believe), and something that should never be omitted again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.