Photoshop CS2 question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
Is there any way to have a background in the program on a Mac? like on windows it has a gray background. Because I don't like the idea of just having my tools around the edges of my screen and still being able to see everything behind the picture I'm working on. It distracts me. So is there any way to get the background on the program? thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
At first I was going to say 'no, that's just how PS works on the Mac as opposed to the PC' but then I remembered that yes, indeed there is a way. At the bottom of your tools palette there is a little button that if you click it PS will switch between three (or four with CS3) different modes - regular, maximized, full screen mode with menubar, and full screen mode.

Of course you could also hook up an external display to it and put what you're working on in the other screen, with your palettes on the primary screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You do get used to it.

Windows mostly works in a rigid one program per screen way. OS X is a bit more fluid and it does make it easier to look at other documents in other programs as well as what you're working on in Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
...Because I don't like the idea of just having my tools around the edges of my screen and still being able to see everything behind the picture I'm working on. It distracts me....

Clean up your desktop, you slob! :)

Reaction score
I believe the hot key for the button walkerj mentioned in the tool palette is "f" which will switch to full screen mode and cover up the background for you. Or you can just click on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
Good posts walker and king arthur!

The whole you get used to it thing isn't that good in my opinion. Having a grey background helps your eyes understand the colours you are using. You don't really want to be confused with the heavy blues and reds in your desktop wallpaper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
When you're designing 8 hours a day and flicking between Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark it is useful to see what's behind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Good posts walker and king arthur!

The whole you get used to it thing isn't that good in my opinion. Having a grey background helps your eyes understand the colours you are using. You don't really want to be confused with the heavy blues and reds in your desktop wallpaper

Which begs the question of why you'd have your desktop background set to that....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
Not rerally.. There are many different backgrounds you could pick, you know? For your personal enjoyment..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.