.HQX file. How can I open this

Reaction score
My Dad wants to see some files on websites that require Windows Media Player so we downloaded it in a ".HQX" format. When I double click on it to open it, Finder says it does not know which application to open it with. I want to install this but I am having trouble.

Can you help???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My Dad wants to see some files on websites that require Windows Media Player so we downloaded it in a ".HQX" format. When I double click on it to open it, Finder says it does not know which application to open it with. I want to install this but I am having trouble.

Can you help???

I believe that is a BinHex archive file. Try StuffIt Expander. Once you get it unarchived, you may need Flip4Mac to open Windows Media files.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the file on B&N you are trying to view? I want to try it here and see if I can help.

Edit: I just tried paying a few previews of CD's and they played fine. It was using Flip4Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
What is the file on B&N you are trying to view? I want to try it here and see if I can help.

Edit: I just tried paying a few previews of CD's and they played fine. It was using Flip4Mac.

We went to Barnesandnoble.com
Clicked on "Music" on the top
Typed "Concords" in the search. (My Dad was in the group the "Concords")
Then we clicked on any one of the Albums displayed and tried to listen to a song.

That is when it said we didn't have WMP installed. Maybe we didn't install flip for mac properly........

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
We went to Barnesandnoble.com
Clicked on "Music" on the top
Typed "Concords" in the search. (My Dad was in the group the "Concords")
Then we clicked on any one of the Albums displayed and tried to listen to a song.

That is when it said we didn't have WMP installed. Maybe we didn't install flip for mac properly........

That is what I did and it did work. I tried it with many CD's just to be sure. I have 10.4.10 Tiger with the latest Flip4Mac. Be sure if you have installed a version of Microsoft Windows Media Play for OSX to uninstall that first or it messes with Flip4Mac.

I played "Away" by the Concords. It played fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
That is what I did and it did work. I tried it with many CD's just to be sure. I have 10.4.10 Tiger with the latest Flip4Mac. Be sure if you have installed a version of Microsoft Windows Media Play for OSX to uninstall that first or it messes with Flip4Mac.

I played "Away" by the Concords. It played fine.
Being new to mac, How do I un-install the WMP I tried to install earlier?

Reaction score
dtravis7 I have just registered my Dad here, his Screen name is SalT

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I swear there was an uninstaller that came with WMP. If you can not find it let me know. It's been ages since I uninstalled mine

OP
M
Reaction score
I'll have him give it a go and then post back here after he does. Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis, I was able to install the flip4mac on his computer. My problem was that I wasn't closing Firefox and then re-opening it to let the change take effect. I also didn't drag the program into the Applications folder. This is just a sign of my newness to how the operating system works.

All is well and I got it to go thanks to you and a little help from the guy at the mac store :)

Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis, I was able to install the flip4mac on his computer. My problem was that I wasn't closing Firefox and then re-opening it to let the change take effect. I also didn't drag the program into the Applications folder. This is just a sign of my newness to how the operating system works.

All is well and I got it to go thanks to you and a little help from the guy at the mac store :)

Thanks!

Glad to hear you got it working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.