• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Finder info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
The new finder looks pretty good but it seems to be pretty same as the current finder (in v10.4). The Only difference seems to be the sidebar and the new coverflow view.

Am I missing something or are there other changes to finder?

Reaction score
The Finder is the GUI application, so it'll have changes. But it might still have some very old code.

A month ago, remain pointed out here that among other goofs, the right-click contextual menu carries code over from the pre-OS X Finder, like junk DNA. Changing a window to view by list, then right-clicking on a document shows Help at the top of the menu. But in OS X, that Help doesn't do anything.

I wonder whether it'll show up in Leopard. I was blind to it until remain pointed it out, because I've seen it and ignored it since System 6. Maybe the coders are guilty of the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
[ that thread in its entirety: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63646 ]

It's not just right-clicking on files; it's right-clicking on anything while in List View. Even empty space!

Yeah, I really do hope those bugs will be fixed soon.
Especially the "triple-click" bug and the Snap to Grid bug; those just annoy me to no end.
(Some of these bugs might have even been there since 10.0, which was seven years ago! Unacceptable!)

As for the "New Finder," well, here are my two cents:

I don't really buy into that whole "All-New Finder!!!" jazz Apple has been advertising.

In my experience, when Apple says "all-new [whatever]"
what it really means is "[whatever] with 2-8 improvements, either major or minor". ;p

I mean, an all-new Finder would imply that
they took the old Finder, threw it in the Trash (some Mac fans would rejoice ;p ), and made a new one from scratch!
And obviously, Apple didn't do that.
They just took the 10.4 Finder and made a few major and minor improvements.
(although arguably the most improvements since 10.0)
But of course, you don't impress people by advertising it as "Marginally Improved Finder!!1". ;p

Anyways,
from what I've read on other sites, here are 2 more little improvements:

-In Column View, you can arrange by things other than Name.
(Finally! Hey, it only took 7 years for them to add this. ;p )

-If you set "Show all file extensions" to on in Finder's Preferences,
when you rename a file, it will select the file name without the file extension part.

i.e.,
Rename a file named "Some Untitled File.txt"
Only "Some Untitled File" will be highlighted/selected; ".txt" won't be.
This one should be a time saver.

If anyone's got some improvements that I've missed/forgotten, feel free to add them.

Reaction score
The Finder is the GUI application, so it'll have changes. But it might still have some very old code.

A month ago, remain pointed out here that among other goofs, the right-click contextual menu carries code over from the pre-OS X Finder, like junk DNA. Changing a window to view by list, then right-clicking on a document shows Help at the top of the menu. But in OS X, that Help doesn't do anything.

I wonder whether it'll show up in Leopard. I was blind to it until remain pointed it out, because I've seen it and ignored it since System 6. Maybe the coders are guilty of the same thing.
That's strange. I thought the OS X finder was a total rewrite. I guess not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I think it was a total rewrite.

What I meant in my post in the other thread is that it's some remnant of an older version of the OS X Finder, which probably inherited the Help item in the right-click menu from the OS 9 Finder.

(inherited, as in recreated in the new Finder based on the OS 9 Finder)

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
[ that thread in its entirety: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63646 ]

It's not just right-clicking on files; it's right-clicking on anything while in List View. Even empty space!

Yeah, I really do hope those bugs will be fixed soon.
Especially the "triple-click" bug and the Snap to Grid bug; those just annoy me to no end.
(Some of these bugs might have even been there since 10.0, which was seven years ago! Unacceptable!)

As for the "New Finder," well, here are my two cents:

I don't really buy into that whole "All-New Finder!!!" jazz Apple has been advertising.

In my experience, when Apple says "all-new [whatever]"
what it really means is "[whatever] with 2-8 improvements, either major or minor". ;p

I mean, an all-new Finder would imply that
they took the old Finder, threw it in the Trash (some Mac fans would rejoice ;p ), and made a new one from scratch!
And obviously, Apple didn't do that.
They just took the 10.4 Finder and made a few major and minor improvements.
(although arguably the most improvements since 10.0)
But of course, you don't impress people by advertising it as "Marginally Improved Finder!!1". ;p

Anyways,
from what I've read on other sites, here are 2 more little improvements:

-In Column View, you can arrange by things other than Name.
(Finally! Hey, it only took 7 years for them to add this. ;p )

-If you set "Show all file extensions" to on in Finder's Preferences,
when you rename a file, it will select the file name without the file extension part.

i.e.,
Rename a file named "Some Untitled File.txt"
Only "Some Untitled File" will be highlighted/selected; ".txt" won't be.
This one should be a time saver.

If anyone's got some improvements that I've missed/forgotten, feel free to add them.

Yh its not really an all new finder, they've just updated it, changed the way it looked and fixed some minor bugs. I was hoping for a complete remake.

I hope there are more changes to it before it comes out...

One thing that i've found with the current finder is that if you choose to hide all file extensions from finder preferences then it doesn't do it for all files...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Ok, if you open anything in finder, goto Finder up by the blue apple up top, then click on "About Finder" it clearly says " (c) and TM 1983-2005 Apple Computer Inc." Makes you think a bit huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.