MBP camera

Reaction score
just a quick question, is the webcam in macs supposed to be for video as well or just still photos? I am asking this because I cant seem to find an option in msn messenger on my mbp that lets me start a video conversation.

Reaction score
MSN messenger for Mac doesn't support video conversations... it's Microsoft's fault, not Apple's... I think that the only MSN client for Mac that lets you do video is aMSN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Visual Purple is right on the money. aMSN is the only client that will give ya the WebCam Support for MSN. The Microsoft Version is Crappy and very watered down.

Reaction score
so what u are saying is that the camara that comes with any mac will not work on a video conversation over msn messenger...????????? Im not gonna be able to talk to my windows buddy over msn with the camara? ***?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not unless you're running Windows.

As was explained, Microsoft hasn't added video support to the official Mac version of the MSN client.

Alternatives: The unofficial aMSN client
Or use a different video chat application, such as Skype or Aim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4GHz MBP
I've been able to chat with other people who are using MSN on their windows machine by using aMSN. You have to make sure the port that aMSN is using is open though.

OP
O
Reaction score
hmm. is aMSN very similar to the official msn in terms of features etc? and also, are you talking about the port in my router that needs to be open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
Mercury MSN supports iSight too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4GHz MBP
Sorry for the late responses guys.

What exact features were you looking for with the messenger app? I used to use MSN Messenger all the time when I was running windows, and aMSN has all the features I used. I'm not sure how heavy of an MSN messenger you are, but it does the nudges and it does the smiles, video does work on it.

I was referring to actual port on your router. You would have to look up how to do this for your particular router. For linksys routers you would go to 192.168.1.1 and login and then proceed to porforwarding, it would be under gaming and applications I believe. On aMSN go to preferences and then connections. Under file transfer, peer to peer and nat settings, there's a port option, make sure that port is open by portforwarding it to a port you opened.

Before I opened that port for aMSN all the recipient would see is a black screen.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll help you out if I can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.