apple website delivery time

H

hill.ed

ive just bought my new powerbook G4 with full spec and i just wanted to no how long it will take to arive? has anyone bought a product off the apple website, as it would be handy to no!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Congratulations!

What are the specs? Or is the fully loaded 15"?

OP
H

hill.ed

its a fully loaded 12":

876Mhz G4
640Mb DDR ram
60Gig harddrive
DVD-R/CD-RW
etc........

just gotta wait for it to arrive, does anyone know how long it takes?

plus can i connect a powerbook to another powerbook or iBook to transfer files from one another???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get a Crossover cable and hook the 2 network ports together. They sell USB/FIREWIRE version of it, but they are expensive, and I've never heard good things about them. You can get a crossover cable at any Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.

Just looked up on CompUSA, and HERE is a good length for like $3. Pretty cheap and effective.

You would just assign IP's to each machine, and then connect to them like normal, and then share the files. Should be pretty fast too, seeing as there is no real network in the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yeah, Ive bought all my computers from apples site. give it a week or less. depending on if you paid more for S&H it could be in, in like a day or 2

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Emrys said:
You would just assign IP's to each machine, and then connect to them like normal, and then share the files. Should be pretty fast too, seeing as there is no real network in the way.

Assign IP's, enjoying it back in the dark ages or what? ;)

Ever heard of Rendezvous?

Just plug em in and if both are running OSX they should just start talking to each other like magic, at least that what the Apple techs claim. They also claim it will work regardless of how you connect them, Xover, FireWire or USB should all work according to the blurb.

In theory it should also work with XP but I have a funny feeling only the Pro version has it enabled.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, forgot we are talking about OS X :)

Yeah with Rendezvous, you should just be able to "Plus 'N' Play".

Funny how Microsoft coined the phrase, but Apple makes it a reality :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We have an IBM RAID box at work (unix of course ;)) with plug and play IDE drives! It can take up to 60 drives each being up to 180Gb (15400 spin speed 4ms access btw), if one breaks the number of it comes up on an LED panel and you just pull out the tray containg the bank of drives it is in and replace it with a new one. It is automatically formatted and remounted and then all the data the old one contained is copied back onto it.

We need neat stuff like that in Air Traffic Control applications.

The best thing is that the entire box is only about the same size as a laser printer.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where do you work? 60 drives in one array? That is a lot of data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emrys said:
Where do you work? 60 drives in one array? That is a lot of data.

National En-Route Centre, UK.

We control (well I don'r personally I just wrote the software ;)) all aircraft flying to/from or over the UK, i.e about 90% of all transatlantic aircraft and at least 40% of all inter European traffic as London is one of the main hubs.

The drives are where we store all inter system network flow, error logs, operator interactions, copies of all data coming into and out of the system from Radar for example and, more importantly for me, a ton of debugging information.

We keep about one months worth on the RAID boxes (yes plural, we have backups on separate power supplies just in case the National grid should fail AND the backup generators don't switch in time. Then the data is transferred to tapes (and boy are they big tapes, they are about 4 times the size of standard VHS tapes and can contain 24 hours of high definition analogue video or about 300 hours of DV, dunno how much a player would cost you though. ;)

Our real-time network has over 500 always up 24/7 RS6000 boxes, over 200 of which are traffic control workstations of which around 80 are in use at any one time by air traffic control staff, they have 36 inch square screens (i.e a yard on each side, Sony flat screen on a huge scale) and each controller has a complete spare that he can just get up and walk to in case someone throws a chair through his (they can get a bit stressed ;)).

Every single box on the system has at least one always on replacement and we have a training system about 1/3 the size of the main system which also doubles as an emergency back up.

Do you feel much safer about flying now?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you don't have to worry about job security :)

OP
H

hokiethang

Back to the question of delivery time. I ordered my powerbook 15inch on a sunday night and had it in hand by noon on friday of the same week. My powerbook was shipped direct from taiwan and still got half-way around the world in 2 days. I did pay for the $15 two-day shipping, but i was extremely surprised at how fast they managed to get it to me. I also ordered a case and battery from the apple store, and those both took 2 days to arrive.

OP
H

hill.ed

okay, thaks for the info hokiethang. does anyone know how it is delivered? is it special delviery etc? and what sort of time they may cal during the day? as i may have to schedule my week around it.

OP
H

hokiethang

mine was shipped federal express, overnight. It was delivered direct from the factory in taiwan, and it still only took 2 days. when you get your tracking number it should have an estimated delivery time on the tracking page.

OP
H

hill.ed

at the moment it says 'being reviewed' as i ordered it on saturday, and i wouldnt have thought they really operate at the weekend, do you think they will start to construct it/build it etc from monday?

OP
H

hill.ed

do you think i have made the right choice for laptop then?

plus what happens if i break the laptop from dropping it etc while in the home? does my house insurcane cover me or do i need to get some special insucance just on the laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hill.ed said:
do you think i have made the right choice for laptop then?

plus what happens if i break the laptop from dropping it etc while in the home? does my house insurcane cover me or do i need to get some special insucance just on the laptop?

Check your insurance, you may have a clause that means it does not cover portable devices. If it is from a reputable source the policy should include new for old for any item in the house but I know people who have found that cameras, walkmans etc were not covered even in case of theft purely because the homeowner could have taken them with them while out.

(also make sure it is house AND contents insurance, if you got it with a mortgage or as part of a leasing deal it may only cover the house itself)

Oh and you also have to prove it was an accident, usually they don't quibble but for such an expensive but smal item they may do, i.e items broken during a fit of anger (PC owners beware! ;)) are not covered. As far as the insurers are concerned it is up to you to prove normal use of an item prior to the "accident".

The best bet is to actually make a list of your more expensive belongings and send it to your insurers in advance, also keep your receipts (both pieces of advice which I don't carry out myself of course ;)).

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could I get a copy of your receipt when you get your laptop? We just got a new insurance policy that DOES cover theft :)

Serious though, if you could make a copy that would be great :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.