Bomb on Startup

A

Andy B

Hi Guys,

For about the last week and a half, every time I start up my G4 400, OS 9.22, it gives me a bomb icon and the message:

'Sorry a system error occurred, address error. To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down shift.'

At the bottom of the message there's a restart option which always works when I click it and allows the machine to boot up perfectly. I've noticed that the crash occurs when it's checking the extension that has a '?' icon.

I've tried trashing the system preferences, but it hasn't made any difference.

Can anyone help.......?

Thanks,

Andy.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It has been a while, but here goes. If the system comes up when you turn off the extension, then you do have an extension conflict.

If you have not tried with the extension off, just reboot and hold the shift key until you see the happy face.

If the system boots fine, then you will need to find which extension is causing the problem. There was an application called conflict catcher which helped resolve problems like this. My guess would be look at the last application you installed as the starting point.

The problem of finding the problem extension is a slow process. Start by turning off all extensions and turning them on one by one (rebooting after truning on an extesion) until you find the problem one.

OP
A

Andy B

Thanks Rman,

I think the extension with the Question mark icon is the problematic one. I don't suppose you or anyone else knows whatthat extension is and what it's called?

Thanks,

Andy.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is the challenge, finding the problem extension. All you can do turn all extensions and reboot your system. Then turn on one extension at a time and reboot, until you find the problem extension.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.