• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What gauge guitar strings do you use?

Reaction score
Having decided I'm not up to doing a proper job myself, I've taken my Gibson in to be set up properly. The guy in the shop reckoned it'd be better with a set of 11s than the set of 10s that were on it. I've not played for a good few years but always used 10s.

I understand that a heavier string stays in tune better, sends a stronger signal to the pickup, and doesn't feel as taut on the shorter Gibson scale length compared with a Fender, so I'm happy to move up. I'm just wondering what gauge the guitarists herein use, and what kind of guitars you play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Personally, I liked the smalled guage I could get. I haven't bought electric strings in a few years cause I tossed my acoustic/electric in the closet. I have an old 50's National New Yorker and I think I was putting 9's on it. I have no idea what I put on my Fender acoustic.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
I change every so often, usually around every ten or so times i change the strings. Not really sure why but its something I've always done :|

Currently I am using 9's on the Ibanez and 10's on my customised fender. I cant remember what string sets im using on my 12 and 6 string acoustic

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I use GHS - BOOMERS!!@@@ BBQ (haha sorry I just like yelling boomers) on my ESP, Right now I'm running i'm using 9's I usually do 9's but I'm going to go up to 10's as soon as I can get to a music store, it's time for new strings.

As for the setup, right now I'm using an ESP EC-100 cherry. It's a model from last year I believe, it's the model right before they went to the quilted top. Mines not quilted it's just uber cherry sexy. It's running Seymour's, I'm probably going to go to EMG's eventually, I really like the active pickups allot.

My dad has a pair in one of his jackson / charvel (jackson body, charvel neck and headstock) I just fell in love with them, I believe he had them in his Jackson V but i can't recall it's been a while since I've played that wild thing.

Reaction score
Haven't played acoustic in a while, but I usually just use 9's on my electric.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I use 10s on my Ibanez...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Ernie Ball Super Slinkys... 9 gauge for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Amen for Slinky's.. Fave string ever.. I use them on my guitar and bass.. 9's on my guitar, and 45-105 on my bass, or 50-105, depending on how I feel.

I'm mainly play bass, but like guitar as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I never got into slinky's, I bought some a couple years ago I just couldn't get a feel for them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
9's on my Hamer electric as I do a lot of bending playing Blues and 10's on my acoustic. Have always used Fender strings on my Electric and D'addario on my Acoustic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
D'Addario makes great guitar strings, but their bass strings SUCK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
Having decided I'm not up to doing a proper job myself, I've taken my Gibson in to be set up properly. The guy in the shop reckoned it'd be better with a set of 11s than the set of 10s that were on it. I've not played for a good few years but always used 10s.

I understand that a heavier string stays in tune better, sends a stronger signal to the pickup, and doesn't feel as taut on the shorter Gibson scale length compared with a Fender, so I'm happy to move up. I'm just wondering what gauge the guitarists herein use, and what kind of guitars you play.

I use 9 guage on my Ibanez S470.

If your changing gauge make sure you adjust your truss rod. If your not sure how to do this get a getuir shop to do it for you. If you dont, your neck will bend slightly due the change in tension of having different gauge strings, and you will get a lot of fret buzz / crappy frets etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
45-65-85-105 - bass guitar obviously :)

GHS Boomers when I can get em, failing that, any nickels will do... I used to use stainless steel but as I've got older I prefer the less harsh sound of nickels... the Boomers are kinda a halfway house... since I stuck an SD Quarter Pounder in my P-Bass, steels sound very brittle & unmusical (mind you, so does nickel on that bass now :) )... on my Jazzes, nickel all the way... nickel also tears up my fingers a bit less

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I detest D'dario...Put em on my elec/acoustic and it sounded like tin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Super light. And I use the thinnest pick I can find. Kind of a change from busting two low E strings in a month when I use to play bass.

Reaction score
I have to use a thick pick. Mine are 1.5mm. They're Jazz IIIs. Love em.

To stay on topic though, I used to use 10s all the time, but I haven't played in a really long time so I'm getting used to callouses again. I'll use 9s for a bit and might change again to 10s later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.
I have to use a thick pick. Mine are 1.5mm. They're Jazz IIIs. Love em.

To stay on topic though, I used to use 10s all the time, but I haven't played in a really long time so I'm getting used to callouses again. I'll use 9s for a bit and might change again to 10s later.

Those Jazz III's are awesome. I used to use 2 or 3 mm purple Dunlop picks, but the Jazz IIIs are thin and really stiff :D

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
I got my 335 back. I was a little worried the 11s would be too stiff, but they're just fine - big sound!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.