iPhone reviews start rolling in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Thanks to loup garou of the Anandtech forums for these links:

Mossberg from the Wallstreet Journal (includes video review)

Pogue from the New York Times (includes video review)

USA Today

Newsweek

General conclusion: Pretty much lives up to the hype. Not perfect, but still awesome. Huge leap for phones!

Notable points:
Mossberg - thinner than Blackjack
Mossberg - keyboard took him 5 days to get used to, can now type as fast on it as he can on his Treo; says keyboard is NOT a problem!
Mossberg - call quality is good but not spectacular, has heard better. calls it "okay"
Mossberg - best web browser he's ever seen on a phone, period
Mossberg - Email is very PC/Computer-like (shows preview, shows images in-line instead of clicking separately, etc.)
Mossberg - EDGE is slow (duh) - if you are relying on it for Internet access, keep in mind that it is SLOW
Mossberg - photo auto-switches to any available wifi network for Internet access, which is very fast on the phone

Pogue - No Java on the Internet
Pogue - Fake GPS - turn by turn directions, but you have to tell it when you've turned
Pogue - Battery is sealed inside; you have to send it into Apple every few years to get it replaced
Pogue - No memory card slot; you can't expand it
Pogue - Read document files but not edit them (PDF, Word, and Excel)

USA Today - No Flash support, no Windows Media support on the Internet (Quicktime only)
USA Today - iPod games don't work on the iPhone
USA Today - Can't buy songs on the phone
USA Today - Can't use custom ringtones (at least at launch)

More review notes:
iPhone software uses 700 megs of space
No way to cut, copy, or paste text
No A2DP support
On a PC, the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses
Supports Exchange in some capacity (unclear exactly how)
Takes photos but not video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
From Engadget review summary:
It also can be a rather multi-step affair to even make a call, since there's no home screen speed dial or voice recognition, and the phonebook can't be searched, only scrolled through.

Ouch!! What a PITA to just make a simple call! If you have a huge contact list, you may have to revert to remembering numbers and using the "ancient" number pad method to call faster. (remember the days when you knew the number you were calling)

Honestly, if you're going to make a revolutionary new phone that blows everything else away, you have to make it AT LEAST as easy to make a simple call as the rest of them! :(

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube

Ouch!! What a PITA to just make a simple call! If you have a huge contact list, you may have to revert to remembering numbers and using the "ancient" number pad method to call faster. (remember the days when you knew the number you were calling)

Honestly, if you're going to make a revolutionary new phone that blows everything else away, you have to make it AT LEAST as easy to make a simple call as the rest of them! :(

That's one of the things I like about my Q. If I'm at the home screen and start dialing a number, it automatically goes into phone mode. I'm sure they'll improve the interface so that it's more usable, maybe some kind of keyboard "jump" feature to go to the first letter of the contact name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

If I remember the demo video correctly, wasn't there a favorites feature where you could "bookmark" numbers you call most often, allowing you to make a call in 2 touches? IMO that's just as good as using a speed dial on a normal phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
If I remember the demo video correctly, wasn't there a favorites feature where you could "bookmark" numbers you call most often, allowing you to make a call in 2 touches? IMO that's just as good as using a speed dial on a normal phone.

Yes, you can. It's exactly 4 minutes into the iPhone welcome movie. Looks like it takes three clicks (Phonebook, Favorites, John Appleseed).

Not to mention you can pull up your recent calls as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I don't care about EDGE! I WANT A TOUCHSCREEN. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's good to know. I couldn't believe the only way to Dial would be manual dial or digging through your contacts list. Even so, now that I'm so used to my voice dial on my SLVR, I don't know if I want to be without it, especially while driving!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
Pogue - No Java on the Internet

Pogue - Read document files but not edit them (PDF, Word, and Excel)

USA Today - No Flash support, no Windows Media support on the Internet (Quicktime only)
USA Today - iPod games don't work on the iPhone
USA Today - Can't buy songs on the phone
USA Today - Can't use custom ringtones (at least at launch)

Would I be correct in assuming the "problems" listed above are merely software in nature, and can be remedied in the future? (Adobe makes an iPhone PDF editor, Apple makes an iPhone version of iTunes, etc.)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Would I be correct in assuming the "problems" listed above are merely software in nature, and can be remedied in the future? (Adobe makes an iPhone PDF editor, Apple makes an iPhone version of iTunes, etc.)

I'm sure they will be. If not, hackers will implement them. I'm sure Apple wants to stay in the news, so they'll create buzz by releasing new features periodically. If it was perfect out the door, then what would they have left to do? :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure they will be. If not, hackers will implement them. I'm sure Apple wants to stay in the news, so they'll create buzz by releasing new features periodically. If it was perfect out the door, then what would they have left to do? :Cool:

Yea right? I mean, Apple doesn't want to look different from all the other money-hungry companies that like to hold back and keep that carrot dangling in order to string along the masses (read: Microsoft)

What's going to be really funny is if they take the iPhone to Europe. Because they'll almost have to make it 3G in order to get any sales over there. And 3G over there before where will make people lose it!

Reaction score
I know the iPhone mutes music/video when a call comes in. Does anyone know if that is still the case if its connected to a FM transmitter or iPod interface on a car stereo?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I know the iPhone mutes music/video when a call comes in. Does anyone know if that is still the case if its connected to a FM transmitter or iPod interface on a car stereo?

I would imagine yes due to the fact that the mute is software activated rather than hardware. When a call comes in, it triggers the music player to mute which stops the flow of audio to the output port (headphone jack, onboard speakers, etc.). Guess we'll find out shortly :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Surely most of these problems can just be fixed with firmware updates anyway. I am really hoping they add full GPS into future generations and link it into Google Maps. That would be awesome.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube

I was just reading through the new iPhone Accessories page over at Apple:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/accessories/

And I came across this blurb:

Many iPod accessories that use the 30-pin connector — such as chargers and speakers — may also be compatible with iPhone, even though they haven’t been certified as “Works with iPhone.”

When you connect an uncertified accessory, your iPhone will notify you and present you with the option to go into Airplane Mode, which turns off the communication capability of the iPhone while it’s connected to that accessory. This means that you’ll avoid potential audio interference, but you’ll be unable to make or receive calls. If you choose not to enter Airplane Mode, you can make and receive calls, but you may experience some audio interference.

So it looks like it's hit or miss depending on how the accessory interacts with the iPhone. If your FM transmitter is just using the headphone jack you should be all set, but if you're using an iPod car adapter you might want to wait for some reviews to see if there's any interference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.