Running both Mac and Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Hi All,

Thanks for your help and suggestions on my other thread. I have a new question: if I wanted to run both Mac and Windows on my new Mac (which I haven't bought yet), what specs would I need in the new Mac? My husband has several games that are only made for PCs, so I am interested to know what kind of hardware and specs I would need on a new Mac, and if it would be too expensive. Thank you again for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
You can't run them both at the same time and play games. The software won't support the 3D technology you need. You can get Parallels, but it only supports DirectX 8, which the latest games won't be able to use.

I think just about any Mac can run them both. I don't have any experience though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The only Spec you need in order to run Bootcamp, which enables you to run Windows natively is an Intel processor. In order to know what specs (RAM, VRAM, etc) you'll need to play the windows games you'll need to check each games system requirements. You'll be safe getting and iMac or MacBook Pro to play most any windows games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Hi All,

Thanks for your help and suggestions on my other thread. I have a new question: if I wanted to run both Mac and Windows on my new Mac (which I haven't bought yet), what specs would I need in the new Mac? My husband has several games that are only made for PCs, so I am interested to know what kind of hardware and specs I would need on a new Mac, and if it would be too expensive. Thank you again for your help!

All you need is a Mac with an Intel Processor. Apple has already migrated their entire line of computers to Intel processors, so that shouldnt even be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And it depends on what game(s). If he's trying to play the newest stuff on a macbook with an integrated gpu, it's not going to to turn out very good.

Reaction score
how much would it be (price wise) to have windows xp on my mac

i know bootcamp is free?!!!!!!!1 right............
well how about windows xp, do they even sell that anymore, havent been to best buy in a long time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
you can go to NewEgg.com and get the Windows XP OEM Version for $89.99 which is a heck of a lot cheaper than when u get from Best Buy. and thats all you need besides of course Boot Camp.

Reaction score
so all i would have to buy would be Windows Xp OEM version, which i have no idea what it stands for but if it works dont really care, thanx bro, i was looking in Google Products and found it
MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Category: Multimedia and Entertainment
Retail Price: $350.00
Our Price: $59.95
which is not bad i guess. can any of you check it out and tell me if thats what i need please

http://www.ankhsoft.com/info-MS_Windows_XP_Media_Center_Edition_2005.html

Reaction score
If your husband wants to play games I wouldn't reccomend him playing them on a Mac unless he wants to experience the slowest gaming experience since the Nintendo 64.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
If your husband wants to play games I wouldn't reccomend him playing them on a Mac unless he wants to experience the slowest gaming experience since the Nintendo 64.

BAN! PLEASE!

Reaction score
why should they badn him, thats his opinion let him just be......thats some comunist **** if they ban him cuz of that, what you need to do is giving knowledge of how games run a mac, is no secret that if you want or if you are a hardcore games u should stick to pc, alienware is a good product, if u dont mind windows and the freeaing and the viruses etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
He's a troll - different from a genuine member posting an opinion.

The name WindowsMaster gives a clue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Utter nonsense. Who let you out on your own?

I'm playing Oblivion and Tomb Raider on my iMac without problems. Which Mac have you played recently-released games on in order to back up your "opinion?"

Reaction score

Which only goes to show the extent of your knowledge fanboy. I play several games on my mac right next to my pc and there is no difference in playing speeds that i see, and i am playing them under Parallels, not bootcamp which would play them even better. In fact i am playing a couple of games on my mac that refuse to even run on my pc.

The games i am playing are:

Medal Of Honor Allied Assault
Medal Of Honor Spear Head
Medal Of Honor Breakthrough
Call Of Duty
Doom 3

SpearHead and Breakthrough are the ones that won't run on my pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Why would anyone think a machine with a Core2Duo processor and Radeon X1600/GeForce 7300 graphics would be incapable of decent gaming? Whether it's a PC or Mac is irrelevant - it's still just a Windows machine if that's what you're running.

So what if the Mac isn't upgradeable? After 3 years, chuck it on ebay and put it towards the next one. Unlike PCs, Macs hold their value second hand.

So it is actually a very decent platform for gaming.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Thanks for the advice. My husband is definitely not a hard-core gamer. I only play SimCity and he wants to play some Yu-Gi-Oh game (don't tell him I told you!:) So nothing too advanced.

But a couple of more questions:

What is the difference between boot camp and Parallels? Which is better for what I would need it for?

I have an old Windows XP operating disk that I installed in a computer that has long since seen computer heaven (or ****?). Can I use that to install windows? It's not the newest, updated windows version, obviously, but does that matter? I know it would be a problem if I installed that on a PC and had to get all the updates for it, but will it matter on a PC?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Bootcamp CON's: Requires you to boot directly to Windows... Leaving you in Windows only... to get back to heaven... errrr OS X :D you'll need to re-Boot.

Bootcamp PRO's:
Gives you the ability to run Windows natively.... Thus allowing you do use 3D applications like games.

~~~~~~

Parallels: CON's:
VERY limited graphics support.... Can't play games that require anything higher than DirectX 8.1

Parallels PRO's:
It runs MS Windows within a window using OSX. So you can switch between Windows and OS X, the same way you switch between any applications on OS X. VERY nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I think they're seriously slacking in the game department when you have a fully built pc that can run anything you want on a 30" monitor at 2650 x whatever resolution with everything jacked up.

The x1600 is not a good gaming gpu. I've ran several games where I come across lag on my MBP and it's most definitely a graphics thing. The new 8600 or 8800, I forget the exact model, in the mbp is getting there.

I mean, I have an nvidia go 7900gs in my inspiron, which isn't considered to be worth comparison to a mbp by most and it blows the x1600 out of the water.

There's a chart that's constantly reference on here with benchmarks on a lot of the mobile GPUs. The x1600 is horribly low in comparison to my 7900gs and the new gpu in the mbp's is just about even, only really gaining an advantage because of DX 10 support.

Macs will run games, but getting by and running a game with everything maxed to the brim with room to go are two different things.

I'd like to test how some things run on the new MBP 17" at 1920x1200. I bet it's pretty good and comparable to my Inspiron, as long as it's not one of those rare games that's dependent on CPU power more so than GPU.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.